Help!!! Prego on board :-)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tdOtjunior

Registered Member
Jun 3, 2012
Judging by the disappearing act and not eating..it's a "she" and I think that she is pregnant. I dont know for how long either. Thinking of getting a 2-way plastic breeder.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1338771114.370825.jpg

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
It does look like she's holding. What are your goals for her? Is she being picked on? Are the fry particularly valuable? Do you just want to go with the flow and enjoy them?

My preferred method is to put enough rubble areas in the tank so that when she releases the fry, at least some will survive in the rubble piles. Rubble piles against the glass allow you to see the babies. You can drop a couple sinking pellets in the rubble to get a little more food to the babies. Obviously you will lose a considerable amount of fry to other tank mates. But it is really neat to watch the babies grow and hide from the bigger fish. Eventually they will get big enough and brave enough that they become part of the general tank population. If the female gets too thin from frequent batches of babies, I'd take the male out and let her regain her condition in the main tank. She's already stressed from having too many babies and moving her will stress her too.

If you really need to have all the babies survive, you can move her to another tank. I wouldn't move her until you think the babies are about ready to be released. (My foggy memory says about a month, but I'd double check that if I were you! It is probably different for different species and my memory may be really incorrect!) If she is moved too early, the stress may cause her to spit the eggs or immature babies and it will be harder for you to do the job than it was for her to do it. Even if you get the timing right, reintroducing the female to the main tank can be challenging. Often the male will harass her a lot.

I'm not sure what a 2 way plastic breeder is, so I don't know if that would be a good idea or not.

wren

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
^ all good advice. I move my mommies when I think they're about to birth or have popped one out that way I don't stress em out way beforehand though I don't that that is the best way but my mommies do well.

What kind of fish is that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store