Dwarf Gourami Behaviour?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smatts

AC Members
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Visit site
After watching my 2 dwarf honey gourami's for a few days and nights. I've noticed many odd things about them!

I've noticed they sometimes go to the surface for what looks like a gulp of air. Is this because they are related to the betta who also does this?

Also when they "sleep" I've noticed them on the bottom of the tank pretty much sitting there and not moving :) I've also spotted them sleeping inside the caves I made in my tank as well as floating at the very top of the tank when they sleep.

Also they like to peck at the plants and ornaments in the tank, apparently they are looking for food

They are not aggressive at all, they seem to fit in quite well with my other fish.

Anyone else have any wierd gourami behavior?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Gouramies are in fact also labyrinth fish--meaning they have an organ in their heads that allows them to take oxygen directly from the air. Very noraml to see them gulping at the surface like that, as long as they are not doing it all the time.

Otherwise--my dwarf gouramie doesn't domuch goofy stuff. He's much shyer than the blue spots in another tank--hangs out at the back, and avoids all but the killi fish.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Yours sound just like mine:) As OG said, they do breathe some atmospheric air. They also seem to really enjoy picking at small pieces of algae or "food" on ornaments or plants and whatnot. You should see one of mine in the 55g planted. He's in heaven!:D

I also used to have a small cave in my 10g which at that poitn housed three d. gouramis. One claimed it as his space and liked to sleep in there too. It was really cute:)

Katz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
My two Dwarfs just love algea wafers. I have to put in two just so the Ottos can get some too. If I don't give them the wafers, the start nibbling on the plastic plants, looking for their greens.

OG, do they eat snails at all?

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Can I answer that too? :p hehe

Mine will sometimes get interested in a small snail if it is crawling across the glass, but once they "test" out its yumminess factor, they realize that they're too hard to eat. So, no, mine don't:)

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
smatts - You described how my red honey gouramis act to a "T"! I was gone for two days and when I came back I noticed about half of the leaves were gone on two of my giant hygros. I noticed they pick at the plants quite a bit but didn't think they'd hurt them. Now I'm a bit worried that they might wreak havoc on my plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store