Pleco with weird light patch, just above dorsal fin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
I have a pleco (hypostemus plecostemus I think.. Is that right?) That has been absolutely thriving in my community tank. he still seems pretty happy.. But there's this weird patch that looks like a bleach spot, or something. water params are fins, everyone else is normal. Any ideas?

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
Maybe? Lol
how?
Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1338786861279.jpg

Last edited:

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Have you seen any fish picking on the pleco?

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
I haven't seen him being harassed. The platies he's with harass the mystery snails, the tetras mess with each other, and the little Cory (who will be moving soon) spends his life picking crumbs. At the moment there aren't really any decorations to get scratched on, just a sponge filter and a plant. Driftwood has been out for about a week. I'm kinda in the middle of rearranging all of my tanks (long story). Plus, it doesn't look like a scratch. No hard or straight edges. I think it looks a little smaller? Probably wishful thinking..

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
Oh they're in a 17 bowfront. At least it holds about 17. Way over filtered (the sponge alone used to run a 55), and slightly overstocked. I know the pleco needs to move soon, I'm currently cycling a 20 long for him and maybe a black moor Goldie, although I'm a little afraid he'll get sucked on. So maybe move the pleco with his little tankmates, and give the bow the the black moor?

Boomer23

AC Members
May 24, 2012
It could be just him growing fast, i have a pleco thats about 12" in length, check him out hes got light nd dark spots all over, just his pattern i guess. Had him for two years now nd got him wen he was 2in. Now hes a monster lol.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1338826335.228691.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1338826335.228691.jpg

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
If your pleco is in a 17 you need to seriously consider a larger tank or re-homing him. Based on the pattern and not the color, I would guess it to be a P. Pardalis or P.disjunctivus. You will get better ID by using Planet Catfish.

Because the picture is such a bad quality it is hard to give you an honest opinion as to what might be going on. It could run the gamut from being normal to being a possible tumor. A better picture is really needed. Hopefully you can find a camera that can do that for you.

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
Like I said above, I am in the process of moving him, although I also know that will be a short term fix (20 long, less roommates). Right more he's maybe 6 inches, so I have a little while at least. I'll work on a better picture, but that's the best I could do without turning on the tank lights (it was pretty late). He was one of my first fish purchases, on terrible LFC advice, about a year ago, as a tiny "common plecostemus". Since then I read that most sold as commons are the hypostemus type, so.. I assumed. I will look into that site though. And the better pic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store