Recurring illnesses in Jack's and Oscars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pooka37

AC Members
Jan 10, 2007
Hey everyone-

So here's the issue: Had 2 Jack Dempsies. Male had what I thought was "mouth fungus", treated it with bacterial AND fungal meds to no avail and he died. Now the female has it and I've treated her with melafix and pimafix and nothing is working. Also one of my oscars has white slime all over his head and melafix helps but doesn't cure it. I've done 3 cycles of treatment (including adding aquarium salt), multiple water changes, and my parameters are all fine besides the water being a little hard and the pH being a little low, which I'm gradually bringing up to a more neutral 7-ish pH. This has been happening off and on for several months now. The tank has been established for 6 years with no issues until recently. Any suggestions?

Everyone is eating fine and acting normal despite their issues, but I'm afraid they'll become sicker the longer this goes on.

The tank is 125 gallon with 2 Aquaclear 110s (no carbon in the filters).
Fish: 2 large tiger oscars, one large pike cichlid, and one medium/large Jack Dempsy.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What is the pH out of your tap on a sample that set out overnight to gas off? Not sure how your water is "hard" and your pH is low with you always needing to bring it up to 7-ish....what are you using to do this?

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
How often are you doing water changes and filter maint?? IMO a lot of issues people have with fish are due to over feeding and improper maint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store