250 litre Discus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Janglur

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2004
Visit site
Hi :D

I have kept Malawi cichlids for about 5 years now, and I feel it is time for a change, I was thinking of doing a Discus tank. The tank is a 250 litre Jebo R 390, with 2 filters.

How many Discus could I put in?
How many times do they need to be fed a day? What on?
What other tank occupants could go with them in 250 litres?

One problem I have is I am away for 2-3 days at a time but not very often, in winter I go skiing for about 3 days at a time, could I just use an automatic feeder and will that do them for a few days? I also go away for 3 weeks during christmas time, but someone comes around daily and I think they should be able to cover it, but not be able to change water. My filters do about 1200 l/ph would this hold up for 3 weeks if I did a big water change before hand?

If I don't have enough time to keep Discus, what are some South American cichlid suggestions? I just need to swap to a planted tank.

Thanks in advance :)

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
How many Discus could I put in?
How many times do they need to be fed a day? What on?
What other tank occupants could go with them in 250 litres?
The general rule is 10g/discus when you get above a 30g. So, I would 5-6 discus (optimum number as well), the best of the two being 5 since your going to be going away. Juvenille discus should be fed 3-6 times daily, 3 being the best in planted tanks since you won't be doing daily waterchanges. With this, I would do at least 2X a week 40% water changes. However, if money is not an issue, I would start out with full grown to nearly full grown discus ~5''+ so that you only have to do once a week waterchanges of at least 25% and only 1-2 times a day feedings. Adult discus are also hardier as their immune systems are healthier.

Just a hint, I would go with sand for a substrate because it doesn't collect as much debris as gravel if you have a decent current in the tank.

For tank mates, I would go with a shoal of 10 tetras (cardinals and glowlights are pretty good), although beware if you buy adult discus... they may make them a tastey treat. I would also go with around 4 oto cats and 4 kuhli loaches.

As for your 3 week trip, I would try to find out if anyone can do the once a week water changes. If not, I would have your discus fed lightly during this time (this is another good reason to start out with adults, juvenilles need a lot of food) like once every other day, or once every 3 days. Like you also said, I would do a good sized water change beforey you leave, say around 60%. Then, when you get back, do it again.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store