RO/DI System

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TBrewerton

Registered Member
Jun 6, 2012
Hey everyone,

After many suggestions i am thinking of re starting my tank with non tap water and thinking of getting my own ro/di set up.

I don't know much about these systems so could anyone let me know if this is any good? "This one"

Much appreciated!

In advance thank you so much

Tim

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
That's a serious system that will make water cleaner than you need it. It does include stuff that isn't totally necessary for aquarium use like the storage tank. I'd look for a unit that included an auto shutoff.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Unless your tap water is horrible and you also want to use the rodi for drinking water I'm with subrosa, You can get one that suits your needs with all the equipment and extra's for $100 less. I guess your in NZ? So I got no suggestions where to look, in the US I'd say bulkreefsupply but shipping would probably kill that for you.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
As an addition to this thread on bulk reef supply there's this

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/build-your-own-ro-system.html

Can any of you suggest a setup that is affordable but covers all the bases? All I know is I need a tds meter and I think it would be smart to find someone who could give a suggestion for each stage and why instead of buying a prebuilt one

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
You can actually talk to someone at BRS about the build your own and they can walk you through and explain things and not try to bend you over. They also give good description of things on the bottom of the page there.

Assuming your tap water is clear, doesn't smell, and tastes fine. 5 micron filter gives you longer life, then a 5 micron carbon block, di resin, 75gpd membrane. Then whatever additional hardware accessories you need, I'd do the dual tds, pressure gauge, flush kit, autoshutoff, float valve.

That would be my bare bones rodi. If I were to step it up a bit I would replace the DI resin with 1 micron carbon then add another stage for the DI.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Rock on. Thanks for the insight and I'm glad their customer service is helpful instead of just trying to make money.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

TBrewerton

Registered Member
Jun 6, 2012
Thanks everyone, Yea planning on using it for drinking water later on when we get our own house. The seller is going to include the valves etc for aquarium use so i can hook it up to the washing machine tap outlets.

It was only going to $4 less to get the companies aquarium water setup which was actually the exact same unit but less the tank and faucet but with all the extra valves. So talked them into giving me the valves for free and paying the extra $4 for tank etc - not a bad deal if you ask me :)

So when it arrives I'm going to start my tank over. Do a proper cycle and hopefully should be off to a better start with less variables. Cheers all!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store