10 Gallon Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoeeStacks

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Pacifica, CA
Real Name
Joey Nguyen
I dirted my first tank today. I did a lot of things wrong and I corrected some of them but lets see how this goes. I capped it with play sand. I am attempting to make it an all shrimp tank. The problem is I am broke and I have a 3 gallon filter while the tank is 10 gallons. I have heard that an underrated filter is okay as long as there is a lot of plants in the tank. I am planning to make it a planted tank. Lots of plants. No CO2 and high lighting.

nmart13

AC Members
Jun 4, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
nick
What lights, shrimp, and plants do you plan on putting in the setup? Also did you wash the play sand first? It takes lots of rinses I did used it for a 55 gal last year.

FrenchFry

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
If you do high light without CO2 or other ferts, your plants will eventually wind up showing signs of nutrient deficiencies. I would consider going low to medium light if you don't want to deal with CO2. There are a large number of plants that would thrive under those conditions, some of which grow fairly quickly and serve as great supplemental filters.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JoeeStacks

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Pacifica, CA
Real Name
Joey Nguyen
What lights, shrimp, and plants do you plan on putting in the setup? Also did you wash the play sand first? It takes lots of rinses I did used it for a 55 gal last year.
I am planning to put flame moss and a carpet of some kind. Oh and also grow out bigger plants for bigger tanks. I am not sure for the lighting yet. For shrimp I really want the OEBT but I am afraid that if I get them they might die because of my lack of experience. Yes I did wash the playsand.

FrenchFry

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
You can always start out with some hardy cherries to gain some experience and then add OEBTs later. The two can be safely housed with no crossbreeding.

nmart13

AC Members
Jun 4, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
nick
With high lighting and no co2 I bet chain swords would work as a carpet. I used them with med light and no co2 and they carpeted nicely. I started with crystal black and crystal red shrimp and they did fine in my hard water with not many plants. Especially the blacks.

Last edited:

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I dirted my first tank today. I did a lot of things wrong and I corrected some of them but lets see how this goes. I capped it with play sand. I am attempting to make it an all shrimp tank. The problem is I am broke and I have a 3 gallon filter while the tank is 10 gallons. I have heard that an underrated filter is okay as long as there is a lot of plants in the tank. I am planning to make it a planted tank. Lots of plants. No CO2 and high lighting.
Without a filter, make sure you have some ghost shrimp, (they eat pretty much anything) but with shrimp you don't really want much flow, so you should be fine.

Remember:
Plants and Ghost shrimp

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Without a filter, make sure you have some ghost shrimp, (they eat pretty much anything) but with shrimp you don't really want much flow, so you should be fine.

Remember:
Plants and Ghost shrimp

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
By adding more shrimp you're increasing the bioload...so regardless of whether they eat extra food or not, you're not making up for under-filtering.

Shrimp are low bioload and that's a relatively large volume (on shrimp setup scale) so I wouldn't be too worried if you plant well. If it makes you feel any better you can always increase water change frequency and/or volume.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store