Gravel vacuum and aquaruim salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mcnomnom

AC Members
Jun 6, 2012
Ive got a question for anyone out there willing to answer: Ive had a 10 gallon tank set up for about 5 months now and I just recently desided to try aquaruim salt. So my question is when i preform water changes with my gravel vacuum does the gravel vacuum filter out the salt as well? I just moved my tank and took out the water by my gravel vacuum into buckets for easier lifting then put it back into the tank. So im wondering do i have to add more salt back in because it filters the salt out or does it not and im good for now? The salt did disinigrate into my water for a day before i moved the water/tank. Thanks!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Hello,
The salt will dissolve into the water, but when you take water out, your taking the salt out also. Keep in mind that salt does not evaporate out of the water. You should also be dissolving the salt in tank water before you put it into your tank.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
So strange, when I asked about using salt everyone just said throw it away and never use it again. But I kept it in case I ever needed it for treating for some sort of illness.

Mcnomnom

AC Members
Jun 6, 2012
I am using salt because i absolutly LOVE mollies but they seem to be dying for no reason what so ever. All the fish die the same way to the point 3 days before they die, i can predict what they will do, how they will react, and when they will die. Ive ruled out main diseases and parasites because ive treated many times with "maracyn II" when i thought it was a disease and i know what ich looks like and its not that either. Water quality is awesome the benifical bacteria has had 5 months to grow and i feed properly. I looked up more about mollies and they appariently need things in the water that salt provides. It seems that mollies adapt to any water fresh or salt but the salt provides the essincials that they need extra in the water.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have seen many a tank with mollies that is 100% freshwater with no salt, and those mollies are perfectly healthy. salt is not essential for them as far as i have read and seen, although they are able to live in varying salinity, right up to full saltwater (which, btw, is a totally different kind of salt than regular aquarium salt).

i think perhaps there is something else affecting your mollies that you have not discovered yet.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
I am using salt because i absolutly LOVE mollies but they seem to be dying for no reason what so ever. All the fish die the same way to the point 3 days before they die, i can predict what they will do, how they will react, and when they will die. Ive ruled out main diseases and parasites because ive treated many times with "maracyn II" when i thought it was a disease and i know what ich looks like and its not that either. Water quality is awesome the benifical bacteria has had 5 months to grow and i feed properly. I looked up more about mollies and they appariently need things in the water that salt provides. It seems that mollies adapt to any water fresh or salt but the salt provides the essincials that they need extra in the water.
I agree with BFM. I have kept and bred mollies in 100% freshwater for years and have absolutely no problems. There may be something else going on that you can't see, and poor stock may be a part. Also keep in mind that live bearers in general are pretty short-lived fish.

Also, adding aquarium salt will not simulate a brackish environment anyway. It does not have the other macro and micro minerals etc in the water that are found in marine and brackish waters in the wild.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mcnomnom

AC Members
Jun 6, 2012
I think many people have varying opinions on salt vs not. For me 100% freshwater hasnt worked so im
just trying things that may keep them alive. If youd like to know more about the mollies dying and trying to figure out what is wrong, i posted another thread earlier with adressing what it could be. Its called "Needing help with my mollies" if anyone has advice please feel free.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store