Co-exist happily or grudgingly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Can 5 cories get along with one (or possibly two) bristlenose plecos in 55 gallon aquarium? I figure they may be competing for some of the same food, but if I can get my bnp. to eat off clip.. the cories could help me keep bottom cleaner. I'm not sure if all plecos are messy like the three and a half inch guy I have now. I saw some brown plecos at walmart yesterday... they were less than an inch long. I thought my guy needs company- hmmm. Jim

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
They should be fine. But word of caution...the "brown pleco" at walmart is most likely a common pleco. Too many people have gone down that path. Be very careful.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Whereas the common brown would grow to two feet long, right? And while I am (foolishly) talking about walmart; may I ask about disease? I bought seven white mountain minnows from there three months ago. I made the guy netting fish avoid 2 or 3 minnows that at the time I thought were deformed. They had lips missing and deformed looking. Well, three days later, they were dying. I dosed them with erythromycin and only saved two. Know what they could have had? Thanks, Jim

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
NP. I have over a dozen black corys (and a few others) in my 46 BF with a pair of red ancistrus BNs. They don't even notice each other. Yu'll be fine. Good luck.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I have 1 BN with several cories and even a few pygmies no issues, a squabble or two when food goes in but noone gets hurt. Walmarts here don't sell fish but I imagine the conditions must be worse then even the crappiest Petco's would QT for few weeks for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store