My Recent Visit to a Big Box [not a good one]

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RussWalters

AC Members
May 29, 2012
:jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

I am paraphrasing an email I just sent to corporate - but the main the long and short of it....

I went to a big box over the weekend for cat food, and, of course, went to look at the fish. To my dismay, the tanks were filled with DEAD fish. Read below for the full story, and images.

I typically buy all of my fish and supplies at a local fish shop, but this weekend, I saw the episode of Tanked and I thought I would swing by on Sunday to check out what they had in stock (since it looked pretty legitimate on TV). It could not have been more of a different scenario. At first things looked fine, not overly impressive, but fine. Then I noticed one tank that had a fish dead on the bottom and another breathing heavy and struggling at the surface. As I continued to go down the rows of tanks, it became evident that nearly EVERY tank had at least 1 dead fish in it (most had multiple dead fish, or at least ones that were severely struggling). I understand that some fish will die in the tanks, just the way it is, but I would not expect that such a large number of fish would 1) die and 2) not be cleaned out of the tanks. There were multiple tanks that had fish stuck to the filtration intakes that were so deteriorated that it looked as if they had been there for at least days (one of these was a clown fish that you can see in the pictures discussed below).

The experience got even more unbelievable when I spoke with the employee helping in aquatics. He stated to me that it's just the way it is, that the fish die - That corporate forces them to overstock tanks for selection, and that is why so many die. Essentially eluding to the fact that the health of the fish is secondary or even tertiary to appearance of the set up. Which doesn't make sense to me, since a tank with dead fish is much more detrimental to sales than a low stocked tank. (On a side note, every fish store I have ever been too has tanks overstocked with fish for display, but have adequate filtration to handle this - which, I would like to assume you also do).

After being thoroughly disgusted at the fresh and saltwater aquarium fish, I continued to walk around the aquatics department only to find tanks of guppies and goldfish 80-90% dead. These fish were balled up in piles of dead fish on the bottoms of the tanks, with the few surviving fish feeding on them (also shown in pictures).

To put icing on the cake, I went to look at the betas and saw a number of dead betas on display as well as multiple display containers that look like the water has not been changed in weeks.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share. Has anyone else had similar experiences at other big box pet stores? I'd love to hear people's thoughts, opinions, etc... I am officially never patronizing them again. Not even for cat toys.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
typical big box. Sometimes you get a store like they had on tanked, but most of the time it is much like you described. The people at their head offices have no idea how to take care of fish (and if someone does, it is someone with very little power). That tank on tanked was built months ago, and probably looks like crap by now.

KI4WLG

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
North Carolina/South Carolina
I see the same thing , but not to the same extent. Usually I'll only see maybe two or three dead fish on the whole wall and the employees there are usually quick to pull them out. The other side of that is they are doing nearly full restocks every week it seems as so many people in the city I live in are buying fish. It's so bad there that I tend to stray away from the pet section cause I don't want to have to look at all the dead ones :(

Kakashi

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Chico CA
Real Name
Bryan
One thing I learned long ago, AVOID CORPORATE PET STORES at all costs! Lol I have never seen a big box that doesn't​ fit that scenario.

Semilla

AC Members
Jun 2, 2012
Madison, WI
Real Name
Semilla
That's why I haven't bought any fish from a chain store since my first fish purchase. (I did buy some ghost shrimp a while back)
There's a locally owned pet store with a large aquaria section that I used to frequent, until I got there early.. They let me in five minutes before opening, so I grabbed the cat litter I needed and went to the fish room. WOW. I haven't seen that many dead and dying fish like.. Ever. Every tank, awful. I ran for an employee and told her there seemed to be a massive die off. She looked, then got red. She explained that she hadn't cleaned them out yet, and the new night guy never did it. Apparently that was normal for 24 hours..
Sent from my SCH-R930 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I know that there are probably reasons to remove the name of the store, but when threads like this get pages long, it really leaves someone who is just starting to read it clueless about the store. I was reading one a while back and I could not figure out what store it was for the life of me until I pm'ed the person who made the thread.

There will always be one bad store in any given chain of stores, be it fast food, or pet stores. I know that if there was a thread here like this one about say BK having sanitary issues in many stores, especially if one was near you, you wouldnt want it to say that a certain fast food store has sanitary issues but you dont get to know which one.

I am probably picking a fight I will never win, but it just doesnt make sense.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nope...won't win it as there isn't anything to win. Countless threads like this on this site and others...and they always end up in flaming. Won't take you long on the web to see sites get sued over stuff like this. You can blow your steam without naming the store, plain and simple. Every thread always states about they are not all bad, but it ALWAYS slams all the stores before the day is done.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
PM the thread starter if you want to know the name of the company in question. With the info given in the original post, it doesn't take a detective to conclude who this company is anyway.
As RB mentioned, it's a great way to get sued by listing the company's name in threads like this, and the OP would be among those getting sued. It's happened before.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
All the big box stores by me are actually pretty decent. Sure there'll be a dead fish here or there but that's expected. There's actually one Petco in Edison, NJ that I love going to. Every so often they have some neat fish (siamese flying fox, CPDs, red cherry shrimp, discus, etc. to name a few).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store