Baby euthanization, what to do.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
My girlfriend and I have been raising fry for over a month. We have about 20 2-3 week old Molly babies and I want some opinion on what to do in this situation.

We have a baby that sits at the bottom and has since it was born. It has energy but it seems to be deformed somehow. When it swims it usually swims in a circular motion and it seems to have a curved body (like if you're looking at it from the top it looks like a C but not quite that pronounced) and can't really get anywhere. The circular swimming looks like it s swimming in a corkscrew pattern as it swims up.

I don't know what to do about it. It is surviving but probably only on whatever food floats down by it. It also seems to have energy though too and will swim, just doesn't swim right and not for very long when it does.

I don't even know if this baby will survive to adulthood and I want your opinions on what to do and maybe some other stuff. Do I euthanize it? Do I let it love as long as possible until it dies itself (that's what I wanted to do but I don't know if I'm letting it suffer)?

I've read about breeders having to put babes down all the time and it upsets me but if a baby will die anyway and/or suffer I'm willing to do it. I just won't do it without being told it is okay.

And last thing, where is the line you draw for this? I have another baby that is close to the same as the guy I'm describing but doesn't swim weird, just sits at the bottom and doesn't seem to be able to accomplish much like the other guy.

Hope someone can help me out with what to do here. It's a sad subject but I can't figure out the right way to go about it. I keep thinking that I should just let it go and maybe it can be a functional (if weird) adult but I also am worried about suffering and then I think if I put it down then what if it would have been able to do ok as an adult.

Zevyn

AC Members
May 21, 2012
I had a runt Angelfish in a bag with 4 larger ones lose one of his ventral fins and the other one bent completely back. It was probably crushed into the corner by the others. He couldn't swim very well but ate food if it floated past him (attempts to hand feed failed, since he was scared). I planned to let him get a run at life as long as he was eating, but it progressed to him sitting on the bottom of the tank, probably due to tiring out from having to use his other fins more to keep level. Eventually he curled into a C shape and was breathing heavy, so I culled him in a cup of ice water. Felt terrible about it.

If yours is eating and can get around, then I'd say give it more time. In my case mine was just sitting in one spot unable to move much at all and I could see it getting worse as time went by.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Ok, then just basically use my judgement. That helps a lot actually. I figured the answer was to wait it out and if I can tell it is going bad then handle it accordingly but it helps to have someone validate it for me =)

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I agree it is completely the owners opinion. You don't want them to suffer but it's hard to draw that line.

When the time does come I would suggest what zevyn did. This is how I put my fish down. Take water put it in a container put it in your freezer until ice forms over the top break the ice to expose the water below. Pretty much get the water as cold as possible without making it solid ice. Then take the fish quickly from the tank into the ice water. The change from a tank near 80 to near 32 will instantly put them into shock and stop there heart.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
That's an interesting way to do it. I had heard of a couple different ways but when I read other threads almost everyone suggested blunt force trauma (basically drop a brick on it). If needed I will do it the way you guys suggested.

I'm glad you guys are understanding and I have a place to come for questions like this.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Neph, if the question continues to torment you remember that in nature this problem does not occur. A defective offspring becomes lunch (or at least a snack) for another member of the food chain, along with 99% of the perfectly healthy offspring. That's why they have so many in the first place.

we breed for colors, or shapes, or fanciful finnage or whatever. Nature breeds for speed and luck. :)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
If it gets to that point then frozen water is the easiest way to do it. I had a fish get caught in a filter intake and it only took a few seconds in the icy water to take it out. Also...I've had a von rio tetra that is malformed and strange looking from a fry that is still the boss in my 100g :)

:cheers:

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Maybe boiling water, but I've never tried that...

When I saw the thread's title I thought you meant human babies... Next time you should probably use the word Fry...

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Maybe boiling water, but I've never tried that...

When I saw the thread's title I thought you meant human babies... Next time you should probably use the word Fry...

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
LMFAO I don't think I would be posting that in the freshwater section of a fish forum bud XD

Also boiling water would be so much more painful then going into shock from cold water which puts you out faster. If I had to choose I would choose hypothermia over being boiled to death any day

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store