Raising Betta Frys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jhey

AC Members
Jun 7, 2012
This is the first time I've listened to tips I've read online on how to raise frys and it's working well. My frys are a week old. My question is to see if anyone can double check my work to see if everything will go well. I'm excited!
1. I feed them microworms(how long can I feed them this for?)(without trying to overfeed)-also have bbs on the side but afraid of swim bladder
2. Water temp is around 78-80
3. I have a light on 24/7
4. Java moss plants still healthy all green.
5. Sealed the top wrapped
6. Sponge filter on at 1 bubble per second
7.I have water in a different bucket conditioned for about a week. (For when I should add water. 10gallon tank.
8. I try not to but I suck out the dead frys once in a while to keep tank clean.

Am I missing anything? If so, anything would be a GREAT help. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you got them through the first week the hardest part is done. I feed micros to fish up to around an inch. You should start changing water, normally I like to do at least 50% daily when raising fry.

Rjb3

AC Members
May 17, 2009
When I raised fry of any kind I changed 20% of the tank water twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night making sure the temp was within 1 degree of the tank water. I also ran the sponge filter faster than one bubble per second. This is not an exact science, but that's what I did.

I feed micro worms to all my fish young and old.

Jhey

AC Members
Jun 7, 2012
Both excellent tips! Thanks a bunch. I will be changing water with the little air tube. When should I start raising the water level up? It's half full right now (10g)

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Are you feeding live microforms or do you use frozen or something? Just wondering as I would like to not have to keep using Hikari first bites (it's messy and the cost adds up when you have a lot of fry)

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
Cover your tank up completely black. Make top part removeable to feed fish. No water changes. Remove your java moss so it will not die. No need for air bubble. Leave the water low. Check on it the next days. You will see no or less dead frys. Betta frys water temp and air temp can not change at all or they will start to die. Betta frys are so small even a dip of water can hurt them. Water changes can be added when frys are bigger.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
If the fry are one week old, start feeding them bbs. It's more nutritious than microworms and won't lead to missing ventral fins. I had no issues with swim bladder disease when hatching decapped brine shrimp eggs. It's a bit more work, but totally worth it. Around the 1 month stage I like to start adding grindal worms to their diet.

At the one week stage I would add water to fill the tank (drip method with water same temp as that in the tank). I also started changing the water everyday (20% first day, 30% second day, 40% third day, etc). At two weeks old I was doing 90% water changes every day.

No need to have your lights on 24/7. This was for the benefit of the father, so that he could see and catch falling eggs/fry even at night time. At this stage of fry development, you should turn the lights off at night. Also, your plants need a night cycle as well as a day cycle or they'll start to die off and pollute your tank.

By all means, remove dead fry and anything that will cause ammonia.

Different breeders all have different methods. Generally, after a few spawns you tend to figure out what works for you. It's been almost a year since my last spawn, but the method I listed above allowed me to raise the betta in my avi to that size within 3 months. He was probably a little bit bigger than the average betta you see at petco/petsmart.

Jhey

AC Members
Jun 7, 2012
Thank you all for the great replies. I will be gathering tips from everyone and see how it turns out. I will continue to breed Bettas and see how everything works out for me. Once again thank for the great replies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store