Tankmates for my cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
I'd like to add another fish or two to my 66g cichlid tank. I want to add something that isn't going to grow more than 6 inches or so, and something that won't cause too much problems in my tank. My tank has been running for about a month now with no aggression problems at all. Most of my cichs are currently between 2 and 2.5 inches long.

I have:

1 Green Terror
1 Texas Cichlid
1 Convict
1 Electric Blue Johanni
2 Yellow Labs

Right now the Texas is the largest at just under 3 inches I'd say, with the green terror being the second largest. The funny thing is, the Johanni is the boss of the tank. He's the only one who does any chasing or doing anything slightly aggressive. The rest have no problems. If anything, The GT is picked on the most.

I know people don't agree with the africans and new-worlds being in the same tank together... so we don't need to discuss that. The Africans will move to their own tank as soon as I start to see any problems (I have a 90g not in use).

I'd like to add one or maybe two fish to the mix. Preferably nothing that's going to grow too huge.

I have a Pleco in my 20g that I am raising until it gets a little bigger before I move it to the 66g.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance :)

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
I say no more fish. And I do hope that you will move the Tex and GT to their bigger tank soon. Eventually, the Tex will turn on others. That fish gets about 12". And the GT can get 9-10" if it is a male.

The reason people disagreed with mixing old and new world cichlids not because of their water chemistry (sure this also plays a bit part). A lot to do with their behaviors (fish language). That's all I've to say. Soon you will find out why.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I would bet your africans are going to get eaten later on down the road. As said in a previous thread, I would take back either the africans or the centrals. Taking back the centrals will allow you to get a few more africans (rift lake of course, not west african).

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
Originally posted by PumaWard
I would bet your africans are going to get eaten later on down the road. As said in a previous thread, I would take back either the africans or the centrals. Taking back the centrals will allow you to get a few more africans (rift lake of course, not west african).
just curious, but do you know of a site that would list pictures of my options?

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
HTH?

My biggest problem is my two favorites are the green terror and johanni... the yellow labs i can go without. I've found more new-worlds i like more than africans, although i dont want to go without the johanni.

i dont really have room for the 90, but i can make room if i have to. hmm... what size tank to you think the Johanni would need to stay happy? Would a 33g be too small?

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
are you keeping your 66g tank? GT can live in that tank no problem. What's the dimension of that tank.

I'm not that familiar with African cichlid...unable to help you on your johanni.

Depends what temperment cichlids you are looking for. 90g tank can keep a few American cichlids (depends on what size you are looking for).

Gunn

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Kelowna, BC
members.cardomain.com
Originally posted by peifc
are you keeping your 66g tank? GT can live in that tank no problem. What's the dimension of that tank.
it's 4 feet long, and i believe 1.5 feet high and a foot and a half wide. i could be wrong on the width and height, but i know it's 4-feet long for sure.

edit: and yes, i'd keep the 66g. It's my new, top quality tank. I have a professionally built custom stand for it, so I wouldn't get rid of it. I'd just like to have more than 1 or 2 fish in it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store