The right Goby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eth0s

AC Members
Mar 28, 2012
I'm looking for a freshwater goby, but not just any goby...

It must be:
Truly freshwater
Enjoys temperatures 76-82F / 24-28C
4 inches or smaller
Accepts prepared foods
...and...
Lives longer than 2 years

I've sorted through so many types my head is spinning.

Australian desert gobies are great but short lived. Same with candy striped. White cheeked, Rhinogobius Duospilus (Wui), meets all but temperature requirements. There are a lot of other Rhinogobius species as well, but not a lot of info on them. Although it seems they are all either subtropical or cold water.

Any goby fans out there know of an unfussy, long lived, warm water loving fw goby?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I'm not a goby expert but I know there are two types of bumblebee goby. One is completely freshwater (they are distinguishable by stripe differences) and I think they're great fish. They eat any frozen brine shrimp I give them baby or grown (if that's what you meant by prepared versus live).

I don't know a lot about gobies at all so they could be completely different than what you're looking for. They're super small too

eth0s

AC Members
Mar 28, 2012
There's not a lot of info on them, but it appears Rhinogobius leavelli is a more tropical variety, liking temperatures 70-80F. That could be incorrect data though... Anyone have any experience with them?

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
My Rhinogobius rubromaculatus seem much less picky about the temp than my duospilus. Really, really great fish.

And desert gobies really aren't seasonal. yes, they're short-lived, but I think they can reach 2 years. Also, they breed super easily and are very peaceful, so you can get a colony going long-term. Great fish.

And, of course, you could go stiphodons, but they're a little fussier.

eth0s

AC Members
Mar 28, 2012
I have indeed considered darters...but I thought they're predominantly subtropical/cold-water...? Do you know of any that can thrive at 80F? I keep my tank at 77-78F but it gets up to 80F sometimes depending on the weather.

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
I think the hardier darters like johnny darters or swamp darters would be fine, but you'd want to confirm on nanfa.

The fish you're looking at are subtropical, but they live in areas that do get plenty warm in the summers, even rhinogobius duospilus. In the end, it's high oxygenation they need, not cool temperatures, though it can be harder to maintain high oxygen in warmer temps.
My rhinogobius tank gets into the lower 80's at times (though usually it's around 78 in the warm months), but it's overfiltered with a canister that keeps the top of the water moving at all times. The fish do really well, even show breeding behavior at these temps, although my only successful breeding thus far occurred at lower temps. I have read of duospilus breeding at 78, though, and my duospilus fry were raised at 78.

Of course, all my evidence is anecdotal in nature, so I can't make any guarantees.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store