Catfish specific tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KI4WLG

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
North Carolina/South Carolina
Has anyone here ever made a catfish specific tank? I was thinking about buying or possibly building a tank just for catfish. I figure it could be a shorter tank as they aren't exactly top swimmers :p Any thoughts on this idea?

KI4WLG

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
North Carolina/South Carolina
Let me clarify he above, I know some people have cory dominant tanks, I was thinking more along the lines of SA Bumblebee Cats

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
I have Synodontis catfish in my spare planted tank. They look happy.

[video=youtube;nR6Q7t6sePA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR6Q7t6sePA&feature=plcp[/video]

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Nice tank Ken, I love my petricolas!

I would use a tank like a 40 Breeder for a cat tank, its short and squat. Perfect for cats.

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
I also have a group of Synodontis Multipunctatus Catfish with my Africa Cichlids. This is a 60gallon custom breeder tank.

IMG_3219.JPGIMG_3223.JPGIMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG IMG_3223.JPG IMG_3226.JPG

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
Nice tank Ken, I love my petricolas!

I would use a tank like a 40 Breeder for a cat tank, its short and squat. Perfect for cats.
Thanks, I love them too. This is a 40 breeder tank with 5 catfish. I don't like rock tanks for them because you will not be able to see them. Planted tank is the best for cats.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Breeder or half tanks are perfect for most catfish. Especially ones that gulp air. They don't have far to go.
Half tanks are standard foot prints, but half the height of their namesake.
A half 70g is twelve inches tall and eighteen inches from front to back and 48 inches side to side.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have a 75 full of bronze cories (at least 15) and the rest of the fish are plecos, various tetras and some Dubois cats. (Not real sure of their name)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store