How much stress coat do you use normally?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Karlsbad

Sharkbait
Sep 23, 2003
Chicagoland
Visit site
When you do normal water changes, do you add the chlorine/chloramine neutralizing dose, or the double dose to 'help repair damaged skin and fins and replace slime coating' ?

I've been adding the higher dose, but after the film that I'm not really worried about on top of my otherwise clear water went away 4 days after my previous water change, then came back after this last one I'm thinking I may reduce it by 1/4.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I dont use that stuff to "restore my fish's slime coat" so I just use it as directed. It works great as a conditioner, and is cheap but I'm not sure about the slime coating, and how good this stuff actually works towards that.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I do not use Stress Coat- its nasty stuff imo. Makes algae too.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I have always used it, and never heard of any problems with it. I use it per the smaller dose for chlorine removal at water changes, and when I add fish I do a little extra, but don't use it for fish slime coat repair per se, just to help reduce stress and make sure the chlorine is gone. I have never used it at the full double dose reccomended.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Karlsbad- I guess what I am saying is that for me there was never a second option (dosage). I use this stuff for the conditioner aspect, not to help repair damaged fins/scales.

That being the case, this stuff may very well be crap for repairing sickly fish but it certainly isn't junk when it comes to conditioning the water. It has served me fine for over a decade now and I'll be honest, I've never had an algae outbreak due to usage. I would be more inclined to believe algae outbreaks (especially on established aquariums) occur from a poor water quality or due to overfeeding, excess lights on, etc.

Just a guess...hopefully semi-educated at that. :)

The Inspector

Redneck member
Mar 16, 2004
Hawkinsville, GA
Visit site
I don't use the stuff. fish have been making they're own slime coat for centuries, they don't need your help. As for conditioning, don't know. I don't put anyhting in my water as I have a well with treally great water, stright from the faucet to the tank, pH 6.9 and nothing else testable.:cool:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I imagine if you drop to single dose, your slime layer will quit occuring. I have never had this problem show up, and I do know that the single dose does a fine job of neutralizing/removing chlorine, and the fish are very happy with the product.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store