Shipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I know I don't have to buy from here or anything so this is just a question.

Why do a lot of people charge such high shipping fees in the market place for plants? Not even large or heavy plants or a lot of plants.

I know mail rates have gone up but that doesn't explain it. Paper towels or newspaper and sandwich or freezer bags aren't that expensive. Neither are peanuts or bubble wrap.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Some folks, not saying anyone here, pick up an extra buck or two on shipping/"handling" charges.....

Last edited:

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Yeah it's generally what RBI said. Also I do sell a lot of stuff on eBay and I always try to overestimate my shipping just because I don't sell quite often enough to know what it will cost me so it could be that too, just overestimating the cost at the post office counter out of safety. Especially with something you're selling for only like 5 bucks. I'd hate to sell something for $5 and only make 2 bucks =/

Just a possibility

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Also most like to use the flat rate priority boxes as they are free and it is very easy. But it usually means you are paying more than you need to. It is the "easy" factor.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
Also most like to use the flat rate priority boxes as they are free and it is very easy. But it usually means you are paying more than you need to. It is the "easy" factor.
Yup, it just makes it easier to use a flat rate box. Also, people might tack on a little extra to cover the paypal fee that gets taken out of every money transfer.

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
It call marketing. Make things look cheaper but paying more for shipping.

I personally don't like to deal with shipping. My gas to Post Office and time is not worth making $5-10. Unless I know I will be making over $10. Let just say that if I sell plants for $4 and $6 for shipping. I make $4 and my gas cost $4. Why would I wasting my time to sale and ship things for a couple of dallors.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
All reasons make sense... **** this recession!

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Agreed...so much easier for the average shipper.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It call marketing. Make things look cheaper but paying more for shipping.

I personally don't like to deal with shipping. My gas to Post Office and time is not worth making $5-10. Unless I know I will be making over $10. Let just say that if I sell plants for $4 and $6 for shipping. I make $4 and my gas cost $4. Why would I wasting my time to sale and ship things for a couple of dallors.
That's the reason I rarely try to sell my plant clippings. I normally just toss them in the trash as the hassle of shipping just isn't worth the little bit of profit to be made.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
If you have more than two species of plants that you'll be trimming, consider that $6.00 to $10.00 postage can provide a heck of an opportunity to a newbie who may or may not have access to a good local fish shop.
I wait until I can make up several multiple species packages, then post them. They've always been well received. I figure the work involved is just one more cost of the early help I got and paying something forward.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store