Algae Eater or Ground guy in a 29?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Howdy,

Right now I have a 29 gal with just a Leleupi and a Helianthus. In the future I may had a Alto/Calvus or Julie but right now this is the stock for the foreseeable future

Is there any ground guy I could keep in there with them?

Also, could I do a bristlenose or two or no?

Thanks,

DB

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
If you need algae control, I would say go with olive nerites. Anything else will be picked on, you've got some real meanies there...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
A BN may or may not work...I tried one in a 55g with N. multifaciatus and J. transcriptus and it did not end well. Luckily I had a community set up to move it into. I would definitely recommend having a back up plan.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If you are wanting just a bottom dweller and not a bottom feeder or algae cleaner than you can go with some Synodontis like the Petricola or Multipunctatus maybe like 2 or 3 they typically stay smaller than other syno's.. and they cruise the bottom parts of the tank..

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Synodontis nigriventris don't really cruise the bottom, but IMO it's the best size catfish for a smaller tank, and will take advantage of the tall profile of a 29.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
i have a few BN with my mbunas and once in a while, they will push the BNs away, but otherwise, they are fine with eachother ( as far as i can tell ) and have 1 BN with my multies in my 10, and he seems fine with the shell dwellers ( multies ) so in a 29, i would do 2 bristlenose at most. its a trial learning experience, as what works for one may not work for the other..so may work for me and may not work for you.. so have a spare tank ready just incase.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Tangs are usually quite a bit more aggressive than the tamer of the mbunas...(not to say that some, such as M. auratus, aren't little terrors! lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store