Oscar help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WillF

Registered Member
Jun 17, 2012
So I'm new to fish I have a 55 gallon it's long the guy sold it to me for 75 everything included even fish
I have
1 dragon blood
1 red empress
1 zebra ob
1 yellow lab
1 tropheus
1 peacock forgot name
1 jewel
1 unknown cichlid
Anyways not knowing I bought a tiger Oscar from pet smart they said it was fine for him to be with them I know they lied now he is a medium small and all the other fish are attacking him I wanna keep him idk what to do with him he is tore up is fins are shredded he has sores on his body just needed to know if he will be good in a 10 gallon for at least 2 months untill I can get him a 55 or 75 gallon tank keep in mind he is still small

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Medium-small doesn't tell us a thing about his size. We need to know in inches, not a generic estimation. To integrate him you should rearrange the decor and introduce him in the dark. This disrupts everyone's sense of territory. With that stocking you need more than a 75.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
and stop the mix.....

WillF

Registered Member
Jun 17, 2012
Medium-small doesn't tell us a thing about his size. We need to know in inches, not a generic estimation. To integrate him you should rearrange the decor and introduce him in the dark. This disrupts everyone's sense of territory. With that stocking you need more than a 75.
He is 2.5 inches the biggest is the dragon blood 3.5 I plan on gettin a bigger tank in about 2 months maybe sooner

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have to agree. You're in an unfortunate situation, but ultimately that is a very volatile mix...especially as those fish mature.

Really, you need to decide which fish you absolutely want to keep. From there we can help you determine a stocking solution, but I can't guarantee that all of those fish you want will work together either. When it comes down to it, that is a fairly random assortment, despite all being cichlids.

A 75g would be perfect for the oscar by itself...but I can't say with certainty that it would be fine in a 10g for 2 months. Oscar growth rate isn't something I am knowledgeable on...

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
I have to agree. You're in an unfortunate situation, but ultimately that is a very volatile mix...especially as those fish mature.

Really, you need to decide which fish you absolutely want to keep. From there we can help you determine a stocking solution, but I can't guarantee that all of those fish you want will work together either. When it comes down to it, that is a fairly random assortment, despite all being cichlids.

A 75g would be perfect for the oscar by itself...but I can't say with certainty that it would be fine in a 10g for 2 months. Oscar growth rate isn't something I am knowledgeable on...
I agree 100%. The OP really is in an unfortunate decision, and he should follow your suggestion.
And I've heard with proper conditions, oscars can grow up to an inch a month!

Trevor ><>

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you could move the oscar to a 10 for now but you should upgrade very soon. an alternative is to use a rubermaid tote or live stock tank as a QT hospital tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store