Cynotilapia afra parents

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
My pair of C. Afra Cobue have bred successfully several broods, but the latest brood seems to be different. At first, just the female held eggs/young, then both male and female held young, this recent brood, only the male is holding fry.
any insight into whats happening?

thanks in advance

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
afras are hard to sex, and females only hold eggs/frys. so what you may thought was a male holding, is actually a female holding. males in this family dont hold ( theres one specie i know that both genders hold eggs, but as soon as i remember the name, ill let you know )

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
thats odd, "he"'s the one of the pair that has territory, and colors.
originally, the "female" held the eggs/fry then for about two spawns both held, I saw fry in both mouths

this is very strange!

thankyou

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Not strange but happens from time to time sometimes they get their orders crossed like fast food it just happens, no need to be alarm as long as he isn't eating them..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Pitt is correct; it can happen sometimes. I know about a male German Red Peacock that held eggs several times with his female.

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
ok thank you all very much

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store