Snails can't hurt you right?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I was playing with my blue ramshorn and mystery snails yesterday and I let one crawl on my finger. I could feel his mouth the whole way but I was wondering, is that something I shouldn't do? Where he was eating it got kinda tingly and I'm thinking it was just basic nerve reaction but I thought it was funny/dumb enough to ask in the chit chat forum. They don't cause any harm right? No corrosive spit? Acid blood? The sticky stuff they excrete won't dissolve me? XD

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Lol no youll be fine, the tingly was prob all in your head

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Lol no youll be fine, the tingly was prob all in your head

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Lol that's what I figured then I started thinking "well I've learned weirder things before" XD

Unikorn

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
seattle,wa
The snail has the worse end of the concept because hopefully you washed your hands before handling it otherwise who knows what it licked. just saying...

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Lmao this is exactly how I saw the thread going when I thought about writing it. Thanks for living up to my expectations guys XD

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
No puffers for you! If you enjoy playing with snails, you'll be unable to resist the temptation to make the puffers puff...
Hahahaha yeah I read it was pretty stressful on them and some could even die from it so I definitely wouldn't do that XD

I was thinking though. If it is so stressful on them what is the point of developing it as a defense mechanism anyway? Are saltwater puffers different? I've seen videos of them puffing in home aquaria and before I saw someone say it was stressful I assumed it didn't matter much. Like people giving a betta an excercise mirror and then watching them flare

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Well, it's stressful on them but it makes it impossible for them to get eaten! Kind of like the way lizards lose their tails. I'm sure it uses up a lot of their resources to grow back a new tail, but the alternative is getting gobbled up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store