Saltwater dip for freshwater fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
I have been dealing with a Oscar that has Hole In The Head for the past eight plus years. I have tried pretty much everything.
It was recently suggested by a credible source to do a weekly marine dip.
I understand this will be very stressful to my fish but that is part of the point.
Does anyone know anything about this method?
What is the preferred salinity?
Do I match the temp with the tank?
Is the ph difference going to be a concern?
How long?

Any help would be great.

I will be setting up a five gallon bucket with a marine salt mix and a heater and a power head for the dip.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
The goal is to create an isotonic solution and hopefully kill any bacteria that might be the issue.
.....A freshwater dip is sometimes used for marine fish.
Room temperature is fine for the dip.
Salinity should be at or slightly above normal marine specs. (don't sweat getting it exact)
pH isn't a concern.
From my reading, five minutes is the normal recommendation.
While the dip is stressful, it won't be that much worse than chronic illness. (it's possible the dip or the disease will kill it soon)
Good luck to you and the fish.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I have done these to discus. It will be stressful to you AND the fish. LOL
Sounds like it sucked. Can you elaborate on why you did it?

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
I did dip. I have two dips under the belt now.
I wear a swim suite when I do the dip because it's not easy catching a 13 inch fish.
I have tried a ton of meds, w/c, and other methods to reduce the stress and increase the water quality but the HITH always comes back. The pock marks get bigger, deeper, and more vast every time.
This method stresses the fish out for a couple hours but she always comes back with more energy and the pock marks have started to recede. This process has also proven to be a little less stress on me with the weekly dip instead of a w/c every day.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Wow, already noticing a difference. That is great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store