bettas with infared vision?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nikita Harben

AC Members
May 29, 2012
So i have two bettas in a rectangle tank with a divider in between them. The divider is all black and i cant see through it what-so-ever, and one of the males will flare at the other one, even though he (supposedly) isnt supposed to see through it. The divider goes from side to side so no gaps there, and he will flare as soon as the other male gets close to the divider. Even when hes in the middle of the pure BLACK divider, he still follows him around and attacks the side. Ofcourse, i removed one of them so neither of them get stressed. Am i just missing something, or is something seriously wrong with my betta? Im stumped. (its a ten gallon tank) Im sure theres a simple answer, and im going to feel SO intelligent when i figure it out.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
A picture of the divider would help. My guess, however, would be he can "sense" the betta on the the other side through movement in the water, perhaps through its lateral line.

From wikipedia:

The lateral line is a system of sense organs found in aquatic vertebrates, chiefly fish, used to detect movement and vibration in the surrounding water. The sensory ability is achieved via modified epithelial cells, known as hair cells, which respond to displacement caused by motion, movement and transduce these signals into electrical impulses via excitatory synapses. Lateral lines serve an important role in schooling behavior, predation, and orientation. They are usually visible as faint lines running lengthwise down each side, from the vicinity of the gill covers to the base of the tail. In some species, the receptive organs of the lateral line have been modified to function as electroreceptors, which are organs used to detect electrical impulses, and as such these systems remain closely linked.

The lateral line system allows the detection of movement and vibrations in the water surrounding an animal, providing spatial awareness and the ability to navigate in space. This plays an essential role in orientation, predatory behavior, and social schooling.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Is this black divider glossy by chance?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Maybe they make unique sounds or vibrations that identify themselves as male bettas. They could be communicating with each other that way. Got access to a hydrophone? lol

Nikita Harben

AC Members
May 29, 2012
i also did another experiment. i removed one male betta that didnt seem to notice the other one what-so-ever, and i put a female betta in. the male still saw her and flared at her and started building a bubble nest. so im gonna do one more test, im gonna switch the divider so the side that was facing the male will face the female and the female will be facing the males side. perhaps she will see him and he wont see her? i dont know why

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Pheramones when they get close to one another? If the water passes through, it stands to reason that they can "smell" each other, even if they can't see each other... add that to the info above, and it sounds like direct sight isn't needed.

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
I'd have to agree at this point with the lateral line theory.
With the female, pheromones are the most likely cause. Still, it's very interesting!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store