Lets move this to general chit chat.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Can you siphon from a tank back into the same tank? Just a hose siphon not a battery powered one. I say no way,but a couple others say yes. Someone back me on this so I dont think im going crazy.

Last edited:

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
You can't do it. Water can only flow from a higher elevation to a lower one. Since the inlet and outlet share a common elevation water will not flow.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Why would you want to?

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
If you had an oddball shaped multi-level tank, yes.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
You can't do it. Water can only flow from a higher elevation to a lower one. Since the inlet and outlet share a common elevation water will not flow.
Thank you!! I still have a few brain cells left that I havent destroyed. Why? IDK check the other thread in AC marketplace under WTB battery powered siphon.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Thank you!! I still have a few brain cells left that I havent destroyed. Why? IDK check the other thread in AC marketplace under WTB battery powered siphon.
It's LBF, no more explanation needed.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
I agree with you Big Mike. Only on that planet hiding behind the sun can you syphon in to and out of the same tank. I am sure that there are a few people on here that can do it, but it seems that the principals of physics and basic science do not apply to them.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I swear i remember doing that when I was doing a water change once. But I did something to get it to work. I had one bucket and had to empty it but getting my vac going was a pain so I didnt want to stop it.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
If you had an oddball shaped multi-level tank, yes.
If all the tanks are fluid connected what you describe is impossible. All the water would flow into the lowest tank. You can however have multiple tanks at different levels close to each other. They are however not the same tank.

I swear i remember doing that when I was doing a water change once. But I did something to get it to work. I had one bucket and had to empty it but getting my vac going was a pain so I didnt want to stop it.
Again the laws of physics would make that impossible. You can maintain the siphon in the hose by not letting air get into it. But water is not flowing through the hose. It will remain static until the water level at the outlet drops below the water level at the inlet.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store