What weird/funny things do YOUR fish do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Ok...so I woke up this morning and fed my fish. They got some sinking pellets today, and they usually manage to eat like 4/6 before they hit the sand, then there's always a frantic scurry to see which of the two can find the ones on the ground first. It's kind of fun to watch actually. So I was watching them dig around after their feeding and one of them dug up a little half inch poop string (lol, GOLDIES!). It floated up a little bit right in front of my moors face and CHOMP! He ate it. And I'm all like no big deal, he'll spit it out right away, they always do. NOPE. Contentedly chewing away aaaaaaand it's gone. At this point it occured to me that not only are my fish beautiful, full of personality, fun, and hilarious...but they are freaking WEIRD, man!

So that got me wondering...what weird/funny things do your fish do? My fish can't be the only weird fish. I'd love to hear your stories, with pictures if you feel like it!!! :)

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Lol when my cories are swimming around they do rainbows on the front glass and if another fish comes to see me they'll bono him on the head for getting in their way.

My angels also always cluster in front of me even when I'm trying to look at a different fish. They're gluttons and attention *****s XD

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I believe a lot of fish recycle their waste as most of it doesn't get digested the first time around.

One of my dad's fish, when you turn the lights off at night, keeps rooting around in the gravel and clanging marbles against the side of the glass in a rhythm. My kuhli loaches are jerks and when they swim up and down the side of the tank, they like to aim right for the other fish. Such jerks.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Poop eating goldfish- Oh, Batman... that's just EWW! My orange oranda (Pumpkin Jack) likes to swim circles chasing his tail in a happy fit, and then he'll swim right up to the glass, slam on the brakes super fast, and start doing "kissy faces" all up and down the inside of the glass walls. (like literally opening his mouth, touching the glass with it, pulling back and closing it, repeat process crack head fast like a million times all over the place.) Tater is also funny- when she gets going SUPER fast, her whole body turns over on the side (because of the missing fin), and her head kicks up toward the top of the tank- she looks like a cartoon character- kind of like the road runner going at hyper speed. And then there's the tank favorite carnival ride of swimming laps, and pausing when hitting the bubble curtain in the back of the tank, letting it shoot them up to the top of the water while coasting along it, and going super fast around the tank again to do it again, when they reach the end of "the ride"- most of them do that. They're definitely pretty hilarious!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
My weather loaches easily take the cake for this, weather they're stacked 3 high on top of one another, whipping around the tank at a million miles an hour, or sitting still for HOURS on end, they're always doing something stupid or funny. I really reccommend them to anyone with a 55g or larger aquarium, they have tons of personality and interact with each other in an interesting and unique way.

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Ohmygoodness I love all these stories. Fish are such funny little things. People always ask me why I keep fish. "Fish are boring, you can't pet them or play with them or cuddle with them, they just swim and poop and die." Obviously, they have never owned fish, because mine never fail to crack me up, even in my worst moods. (And Jamie, you know Batman would totally be the fish to eat it's own poop, haha!)

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
My cories sit in the cocktail glass I use as a feeding station and wait for food to drop down.

If I hold food above the water or just my finger, my betta tries to jump up out of the water at it.

Not fish, but I had to laugh at a ghost shrimp the other day. One of my otos died and the ghost shrimp was hauling off the body.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
My fish follow me like dogs :p

Honestly, if they could fly I'd never be alone :D

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
OMG, Batman just ate poop still coming out of Samus's butt. I love my goldies, but they are GROSS, man!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store