Caught a Sucker Today!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Just threw out the bait and he took it!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It was a big ugly cuss.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
You should have taken it to the LFS and asked $50 for it. (I swear, this is what a 16" pleco is going for at mine, currently!)

In spite of my Googling, I can't seem to get a scientific name for "suckers"...do you know what species they are? They look like the lovechild of a CAE and a carp!

Last edited:

Vnnie

Registered Member
Sep 9, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Suckers belong to the family Catostomidae and are found almost exclusively in North America. There are 2 species found in Asia one of which, the Asian High Fin Banded Shark (Myxocyprinus asiaticus), shows up in the pet trade fairly regularly. Common genera you might catch while fishing include Moxostoma (the Redhorses), Catostomus (White Sucker and Long Nose Sucker), Hypentelium (Hog Suckers), Ictiobus (the Buffalos), and if you are really lucky Carpiodes (Carpsuckers).

Sucker fishing is a lot of fun. The fish can get big and they put up quite a fight.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Yep, definitely a North American native one. Wish I could post a pic!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
My buddy caught a big sucker, almost pleco shaped, mouth on the bottom, wide pec fins. Easily 15" and the ugliest thing I've ever seen. No idea what it was. Red horses and the like are fun to catch, but always disappointing because they fight like a smallie!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Suckers belong to the family Catostomidae and are found almost exclusively in North America. There are 2 species found in Asia one of which, the Asian High Fin Banded Shark (Myxocyprinus asiaticus), shows up in the pet trade fairly regularly. Common genera you might catch while fishing include Moxostoma (the Redhorses), Catostomus (White Sucker and Long Nose Sucker), Hypentelium (Hog Suckers), Ictiobus (the Buffalos), and if you are really lucky Carpiodes (Carpsuckers).
Thank you for such a thorough reply! I love the look of the Asian high fin banded sharks, and I actually saw them being sold at Walmart for a while there (ugh) but unfortunately I don't have anything near big enough to accommodate them, so I have always passed on them. They would make a lovely species tank for an 180 gallon tank or so, maybe with some giant tinfoil barbs to contrast the black.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
My buddy caught a big sucker, almost pleco shaped, mouth on the bottom, wide pec fins. Easily 15" and the ugliest thing I've ever seen. No idea what it was. Red horses and the like are fun to catch, but always disappointing because they fight like a smallie!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
This one was definitely bigger and no doubt uglier as well!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store