Black Sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jglk90

AC Members
May 10, 2012
Florida
Hello everyone, I purchased some Petco brand black sand so I can switch out the big pebbles that I currently have in my 55 gallon. Is this sand any good or does anyone have any good or bad feedback with this kind of substrate?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I'm sure it's fine. A lot of people use a black sand blasting media sold at tractor supply and other places for about $7.50 per 50 pound bag. If you spent a lot on that substrate you may consider switching to that. People love it even in planted tanks

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Yeah I wanted to make sure I tossed that out there because my girlfriend and I have fallen in love with sand substrate and finding pool filter sand and black beauty sand blasting media for $8 or less per 50 pounds is awesome. It took about 2/3 of a 50 pound bag of pool filter sand to scape her 55g so it goes a long way too =)

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
It shouldn't. There is a way to wash it. I don't have the link handy but I modified that way anyway to wash the sand super fast. Let me know if you want me to explain it. Anyway you just wash it out until any water with the sand is clear and then it can go in the tank. When you first put it in there may be a slight cloudiness but the filter will handle that and since you washed it there won't e a bunch of particle that get stuck in the filter. Shouldn't be a problem at all

jglk90

AC Members
May 10, 2012
Florida
Sounds very easy. I will give it a shot in the next few weeks. I really do not want to take out the fish to do this. I can do it with the fish in the tank correct? Maybe little by little?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Yeah it's possible. They usually say just get some tank water in a bucket, toss the fish in, and then sand the tank but I suppose a little at a time you could do.

To wash it do a SMALL amount at a time in a bucket, take a hose and put your thumb over it for pressure, stir up the sand, and tip the bucket a bit to get the nastiness out. It is clean when the water is clear.

A faster way that I did it (kinda and to explain but I'll give it a shot) get high pressure with your thumb and fill the bucket a bit, tip to side slowly and kep going all the way down til it is completely sideways, to keep the sand in you point your high reassure spray toward the side and diagonally a bit inside. What it will do is agitate the sand in a circle and once you find the right spot to point the spray it will stop the sand from coming out by creating a wall of spray and the extra water wil drain over the top of the spray. Like I said it's hard to explain but if you mess around a by and figure out what I mean it'll cut the cleaning time in half. Either way it isn't too had of a project. The biggest problem I ad was putting too much sand in at once when I first started. Makes it take forever

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
the easiest way is using a pillowcase and putting the sand in it and running water in the pillow case till it runs clear. the black diamond blasting media doesnt even need cleaning IMHO. i cleaned one 50lb bag but the rest i just threw in. all my fish are still alive and healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store