Can heat affect unused silicone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
So I got a tube of waterproof silicone with a tank I traded for. First off do you think that is fine for resealing a tank without knowing more about it? I know it was bought by the Iiginal owner for that intent.

Anyway, it has been sitting in ky car for a while with temps up in the 90's. I'm going to reseal a 55 today so I wanted to do a final double check and make sure that it is fine to use. I'm not experienced with the stuff so I don't know if high heat will affect the integrity of it before it is cured

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Im not sure about the heat, I would imagine the bottle would have a warning if it was a problem. Be more careful to be sure its actually aquarium safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I would think it should be fine. But if you are worried, replacing the tube for pennies would be worth the worry.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I'll double check. I may just buy a new tube if it isn't very expensive because I have to go return a flourescent bulb I didn't need and buy a caulk gun

By the way AA I counted like 17 baby snails a bit ago and that's just the ones I can find

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
The large tubes ( that require the gun) are fairly cheap. Less than $20 Of course, for $55 you can buy a new 55 at Petco arnt they having the $1 a gallon sale right now?

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I see people keep mentioning the sale but then keep saying the store is telling them no. I've been meaning to call. I'll call them today. It's like an hour away but maybe I'll get lucky

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I got the gun, silicone, blades, and tape for less than 20 which is awesome. Still calling about that tank. This one will be a sump so not too worried about how it looks but my girlfriends 55 doesn't look the best so maybe I'll surprise her

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Yeah she told me specifically to call on Sunday.

Update: I followed a how to for resealing and it is going fine. I found out after the fact that I didn't have to remove the trim which sucks because I split it in a couple spot but this will be a sump so I don't care how it looks.

I'm to the point where all the big chunks of silicone are off and I have to go around getting the extra bits with acetone/alcohol and a razor then I'm gonna redo the silicone and reseal the trim back on it. Leave it to cure and see how it goes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store