L numbers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
It is just because there are so many. Hundreds upon hundreds. And they all belong to the same family so instead of that many scientific names they just have a number system (well they still have scientific names it is just easier for categorization). Not sure which one bristlenose is but I bet if you tiptoed "bristlenose L" the auto find would finish it for you XD

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
They actually belong to many different families. Lorricaidea is one identification group. Another is the "C" numbers such as the Corydorus.(Sorry for the spelling) Nepherael is correct that there are thousands of different species. So they are grouped according to an "L", "C", etc classification. Identification is done thru a DNA breakdown to be able to properly identify a family and species.

Don't be fooled by appearances. Different species within a group can be 20 inches and other can be only 4 inches. When you see a major subspecies they are usually identifies as sp. Sp usually mean it belongs to a major species group but individual group has not been classified. You could have a ancistrus (bristlenose) sp which means the bristlenose (Ancistrus) is the parent family and further subspecies is not identified, such as albino, as a unique subspecies.

Researchers and scientists are trying to clean up the numbering system as it is very confusing and not always accurate. Sometimes a species has been known to be identified in more than one class.

I know this is not a clear answer, but I hope it gives you a general idea.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
L numbers are a temporary assignment given to plecos which are discovered but not yet described. It is a way of trying to delineate between them without formally having them identified. Because of the informal nature of L numbering, as noted above by ex, the same fish may be given 2 or even 3 numbers until it is proved they are the same fish.

For instance the designation of L134 was used for what is now formally described as Pekoltia compta. L46 was used before it was formally described as Hypancistrus zebra.

A number of years can pass between the discover of a fish and when it becomes formally described- this applies to all fish not just plecos.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I believe TwoTankAmin explained the L number system pretty well.

In regards to your second question, the common Bristlenose pleco in the hobby is believed to be Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus. Which was a described species before the L number system came about and doesn't have an L number. However, the true identification of this fish will likely never be known as there is no collection data for this fish and it may even be a hybrid or a very similar looking species.

Andy

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
There are several different kinds of Bristlenose Pleco with varying L numbers, and apparently (as Narwhal mentioned) some with no L number at all.

Are you wondering about one that you have? If so, post a pic and maybe someone can ID it for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store