Black diamond sand too sharp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I just recently bought some black diamond blasting sand for my 75 gal. After getting done with installation, I noticed that my synodotis looks like it has sand stuck in its belly. Is black diamond too Sharp for synodotis? What about geophagus?(I have one of those in my tank too, and they sift the sand through their gills) I can't find anything regarding it and I have heard of some blasting sands being too Sharp for fish like corydoras. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Pretty sure I know of a few people that use it with Cory's but not positive. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread because I wanted to switch to this stuff and have a school of Cory's.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

jglk90

AC Members
May 10, 2012
Florida
Pretty sure I know of a few people that use it with Cory's but not positive. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread because I wanted to switch to this stuff and have a school of Cory's.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app
+1

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
Would black diamond be alright for clawed frogs? They dig on the bottom and tend to ingest sand.. the sand I use right now is carrib sea moonlight and it's about as fine as you can get but I am setting up a new aquarium right now for my clawed frogs and I would REALLY like to use a black substrate that is safe.

Is it jagged? Will it pass through their digestive tracts? Anyone else use it with any success with clawed frogs?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Never used it with clawed frogs, but it is very soft, not rough at all. It's extremely light...at least the "fine" grade is. It makes a bit of dust when you stir it, but it doesn't seem to have a lasting effect on the water.

At only about $8 a bag at Tractor Supply, it's worth experimenting. You can use it as a soil amendment or to fill holes in the yard if you don't like it :)

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
Well I picked up some black diamond sand and I have to say it's complete unacceptable for bottom dwellers or any fish that would ingest it. I don't see how anyone can recommend it honestly. It looks like little pieces of sharp jagged black glass. I will not be using it with my african clawed frogs because I can tell just by looking at it, it would be a death sentence and get stuck in their delicate digestive tracts.

I'm going to stick with Carib Sea's Moonlight sand as it is the finest grained sand I've ever seen, it's white and I'd prefer black but seriously that stuff just looks like a disaster waiting to happen depending on your stock..

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
Well I picked up some black diamond sand and I have to say it's complete unacceptable for bottom dwellers or any fish that would ingest it. I don't see how anyone can recommend it honestly. It looks like little pieces of sharp jagged black glass. I will not be using it with my african clawed frogs because I can tell just by looking at it, it would be a death sentence and get stuck in their delicate digestive tracts.

I'm going to stick with Carib Sea's Moonlight sand as it is the finest grained sand I've ever seen, it's white and I'd prefer black but seriously that stuff just looks like a disaster waiting to happen depending on your stock..
Which grain did you get? I use the fine grain one (forgot specific grain number) but its pretty fine like sand. I used it on all my planted tanks mixed with fluorite or eco-complete. It tends to stay at the top level of the substrate when mixed. I also use it on most of my cory tanks to stimulate grazing. I seen all my corys sift through the black diamond sand in search of left over black worms.

5-31-12 174.JPG 5-31-12 146.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store