How to care for Cockatoo cichlid/Apistogramma cacatuoides

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! I just bought a pair of Cockatoo cichlids online, and they should be arriving Wednesday of next week. I've read a little about the care of these guys, but still have a few questions. I may not be able to make a trip to the LFS this week, so I won't be able to pick up any cichlid pellets, so what else can I feed them in the mean time? What do you feed yours? Oh, and I can't afford to buy a new cave for my aquarium, and the current cave has already been claimed by another LARGE fish. So, any good ideas on how to create a natural looking cave, preferably not out of a flower pot unless you won't beable to see it in the end. Any advice helps!
Thanks,
Tirzah

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
what DO you have for you dwarf cichlid? if it was me...... i would have waited to get all the stuff BEFORE getting the fish... you can feed the cuckatoo cichlids flakes tell you get cichlid pellets.. and you can make caves out of cocanut shells..

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Well, not to be rude, but actually quite a bit. I have a perfectly stabalized tank with decent fish, a freezer stocked full with carnivorous fish foods, and large plants throughout my tank with wide leaves for the fish. I'm more prepared than it may seem, I just wanted to know is anyone had some advice. Thank you for the cave idea!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
You can take a cup or flower pot and glue Rocks together around the inside in a cave formation, pull em out, and you have a rock cave. I'll see if I can find the thread about it. Some guy just used a plastic cup and put rocks around the inside of it, gluing as he went and showed a pretty cool looking cave

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Oh! That's a great idea! Thanks Brandon! Would you happen to know what kind of glue would be best? Liquid Nails, Glue Gun, or some other kind? Thanks for the tip though, it should work great!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I went looking for that thread to see what he used but couldn't find it. While searching I did find that liquid nails probably shouldn't be used and to go with silicone but hot glue sounds like it would be fine and worth trying. I'm gonna let someone else come in and confirm hot glue is ok though I'm fairly sure it is inert when dry

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
From what I've read, it should be ok, but if anyone can confirm this, it would be great! The glue stiks I have are surebonder if it helps. Thanks for all the great advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store