Is hot glue ok to use in an aquarium when bonding decorations or rocks together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! I'm trying to create a cave for one of my fish out of rocks, but I need something to bond the rocks together with. I'm thinking hot glue, SureBonder to be exact, but just want to be sure its safe for fish. Has anyone tried this before? Any expierence or tips would be much appreciated!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Use standard super glue...no problem, even if under water when applying...

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Don't think regular superglue will hold well but various super/krazy glue gel's are safe. I use loctite gel glue all the time.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
So, just normal super glue should hold, but crazy glue should make a good backup. Ok, well thanks for all the replys! You guys have been incredibly helpful! Wish me luck!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I like to use just regular aquarium-safe silicone. It won't hold stuff free-hanging on tank walls but for sitting-on-the-substrate objects like you describe it holds together pretty well. Plus if (when) you change your mind or want to re-do something it comes off easily without harming the object it's attached to.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Oh, yah! I've heard that silicon works great for aquariums. I wish I had some on hand:( Oh well, they all sound like great ideas!

serion

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
Indiana
I've used hot glue for making decorations. It works well but make sure it has cured at least an hour preferably longer before going into the tank. Too early and the glue doesn't hold and things fall apart.

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Good to know serion! Thanks for the info., I wouldn't have known to do that otherwise. I might use silicon now though. I'll see what I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store