Sterilizing outside rocks for aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
So, I've decided to go through with making a cave for my cockatoo cichlids out of rocks with hot glue as an adhesive, but before I begin the process, I'd like to know if any of you have suggestions for sterilizing the rocks. I'm using about Quarter sized river rocks from my backyard, and who knows whats been on them! So any suggestions or useful tips would be much appreciated!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
They say to use a 10% bleach solution, vinegar dip, or boil the heck out of them. I'd say bleach or boiling or both and just use prime on it after

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
Edit:

I don't know, but I was thinking about doing something similar. I was thinking scrub them with bleach, then rinse really water with water and then pouring declorinator or soaking them in it before putting them in the tank.

Would that work?

Opps, yep, guess that would work. :)

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Ok, I'm thinking I'll probably do both. Bleach the "heck out of them", rinse for like half an hour, then boil for another half an hour. Hey, does anyone know if to much heat (boiling) will damage the rocks, or will they still be fine afterwards? oh, and thanks for the tips all who replied!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
You can boil em all day with no problems. Some people boil for hours because they're worried about bacteria. A half hour is sufficient though

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I have done that and done nothing more than bast them with a hose. Bleech, boiling, etc I am not sure will have any effect on insecticides, etc. Hit them with pressurized water and maybe a fresh water soak.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I'm not terribly worried about insecticides, because I don't use them! We have a natural well, and chemicals from that and even conventionally grown gardens seeps into the soil and pollutes it. Just worried about animal feces and any diseases. Still, I will take your advice and blast them with water before boiling. Thanks!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Some rocks will explode when boiled. I have always just soaked in bleach and then rinsed and then soaked in freshwater with dechlor. Then allowed them to dry out. Never had an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store