How to know if silicon is aquarium safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I'm building a cave out of rocks from my backyard, but would like to know how to know if silicon is aquarium safe. Does say on the bottle... Thanks!

Boomer23

AC Members
May 24, 2012
They sell silicone products at the pest store that are aquarium safe, the seals on your tank are silicone so just be sure that its a non toxic brand if you shop outside your local fish store.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
The ones at the adware store just need to say that it is 100% silicone ("GE silicone I" is what is recommended) but yeah since you're doing a small job your best bet is just grabbing the squeeze tube mentioned earlier

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
If the tube doesn't have aquarium safe or aquarium silicone on the label, skip it.
There are a lot of folks willing to gamble on the safety of your tank decorations. The question is - Are you willing to gamble on the safety of your fish, just to save a couple of dollars? If your local fish shop doesn't carry aquarium silicone, you can order it on line and have it in a couple of days.

Depending on the specific rocks, gel type super glue (all of them) is fish safe.
After curing Gorilla glue is safe, too. Full cure time is listed on the package. Personally, I'd give it an extra 24 hours.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Wow! Thanks guys for all the replys! Great advice buy the way. Umm... I'm going to check with my local fish store for some silicon, but if that doesn't pan out, I think at this point I may just go and buy a cave like rock structure. But hey, if I can make the silicon work and save a little, I will! Thanks for the advice you guys!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Also, let it completely cure. Even if it is Aquarium safe and it hasnt completely cured, you can have issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store