Tanked nail tank update

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
So while in fl we stopped by the tank. Still cool but needs work. They had a lot algae in the tank and the nail polish bottles were all next to each other covered in algae. The tank didnt have many fish like I was expecting. It had not been cleaned in a while. It also had this stupid light show thing at the top. It was not nearly as big as I thought it would be. I was looking at pics they took on opening day for the tank and it was a nice blue. It is not. The water seemed clear but probably hasnt been changed. I was surprised that it was so dirty considering it was built for the place his mom hangs out. I remember from the show his mom said it was embarrassing when the sand clouded the water or something. If I was her I would be embarrassed the way it is now. I dont know if I can post pics from my phone but they will be up eventually.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
What a shame. That was one of my least favs of what they've done. I didn't think it looked all that much like a nail polish bottle.

So there is less fish than what they showed it new?

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
No, they just didnt overstock it like they usually do.

There qas a light show in the center pole but it took a couple min for me to notice bc there was so much algae on it. I suppose a lot of the stuff on the bottom is probably waste from the fish as well. I can only wonder what the levels of nitrate nitrite and ammonia are in that tank.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Pics
The stuff on the bottom of the tank is algae or waste. It is brown in real life but doesnt look the same to me on my phone. The lights look brighter in the pic, the other side of the pole is less bright because of the algae.

uploadfromtaptalk1340487998387.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1340493896521.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1340493914282.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1340493928075.jpg

MaiaDee

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Payson, AZ
Real Name
Maia
Ew. Poor fishes :(

How expensive could it be to have someone come in once a week to maintain and clean the tank??

Too bad you can't call animal cruelty or neglect on fish. :rant2:

Last edited:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The algae doesn't hurt the fish. Actually, the tangs would probably like more algae.

It is maybe bad by hobby-standards. But it isn't all that bad really. Looks like there just isn't enough flow down by the sandbed.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
The algae doesn't hurt the fish. Actually, the tangs would probably like more algae.

It is maybe bad by hobby-standards. But it isn't all that bad really. Looks like there just isn't enough flow down by the sandbed.
Probably isnt actually too bad but it sure doesnt look very good. In real life it is easy to see that it hasnt had a decent cleaning at all. They propaply scrape algae off of the sides of the tank but they missed the corners. In their defense there is a lot of natural sunlight hitting the tank. The main point of a tank like that is to get people in the store, but this one wouldnt bring me back.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Most likely whoever is doing the scraping is avoiding the sandbed at all costs (acrylic tank). :laugh:

But yeah. Looks like it wouldn't be extremely difficult to fix. Vacuum out the sand, increase the flow to ridiculous levels, overdo the phosphate absorption.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I cant believe his mom isnt nagging him to send someone to clean it.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Just watched the video from the show and the tank looks nothing like it did when they put it in. There were less plants and it seems like there are actually less fish. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store