shrooms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

a_fool_for_fish

AC Members
Mar 22, 2004
Southern California
Visit site
newb shrooms questian

my tank just fineshed cycling a few days ago and the guy at my lfs told me that shrooms were easy to take care of and i know that they are the easier of the corals you can get but i wanted to know when i should get them and if you have to feed them or if they use photosynthesis to get energy and if thry have any special requirments o ya almost forgot should i add calcium if i only have shrooms

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Yes they are very easy to take care of. I tryed to feed mine but I think it scared them more then anything. I dont think they need to be fed. They dont have any special requirments except that they dont like a whole lotta current. You do not need to add calcium either.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Mine react to liquid suspension for filter feeding inverts. I'm not sure if they need it or not though. Some varieties don't react to food additions to the tank and some do. I would try it at least once to see if they do. Also they all absorb nutrients from the water so either feeding them directly or other fish in the tank will help them grow faster IME.
hth

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
on top of calcium, I'd add iodine and strontium/molbendium or possibly a, essenstial trace elements supplements to the water. I noticed an increase in shroom size and budding after I starting more diligently adding these to my tank. The iodine is unproven towards corals for me, but I have plenty of crustaceans, so I add it for their molts.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
no offense cpn_aaron but, I wouldn't add anything unless I was testing for it. Most of the time there is enough trace Iodine added to the water through feedings etc. I used to follow manufacturers directions and dose my tank weekly with Iodine and other trace elements. I lost all sorts of stuff after I went out and bought a test kit I've dosed 0 times with Iodine and maybe twice in 5 months with trace elements in the last 5 months! I don't keep sps corals so I haven't even needed to add a calcium agent like kalkh wasser. Morgunda helped me save all sorts of critters through that advised let me give props where they are due and pass it on.
hth

chris:)

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I do I check it at least once a week and everything is fine. I don't really have anything that takes calcium out of the water except for the algae and snails. I also have crushed coral in my fuge so that probably helps.

RothChyld

AC Members
Feb 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.cboss.com
My mushrooms have literally overgrown my tank. I started with 5 and have over 100 in a couple years. They are spreading like crazy and frankly I cannot stop them. I do add strontium, iron, and iodine twice a week and add a capful of DTs a day. I agree with the measurement factor tho and I do run at a slight risk however things tend to be doing fine.

I am actually going to start removing those traces 1 at a time for a month a piece and watch the effects to see if they are truly helping. I am starting with the iron as I think its a waste. I do measure this and it never seems to change the reading.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store