5 gallon in S. Korea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
After about $100, a few trips to the local outdoor market that specializes in pets and some communication mishaps (over haggling prices), I present my tiny, weenie planted 5 gallon tank!

599590_4082340858922_1868809915_n.jpg
306926_4082340698918_1311789677_n.jpg

Fauna: planaria & pond snails
Flora: java fern, anubias, ludwigia, water sprite, pennyworth

I over did it a bit on the plants, hence the crowing ^^ The mini pots are actually what the plants came in. Natural light from the window behind the tank, both for the tank and the terrestrial plants. I'm not sure what's actually going to go in the tank. The tank's been running with plants for a week, so it needs some more time to settle.

Thinking lampeye killies, male endlers, or clown killies with some shrimp (provided they are not outrageously expensive!). Or a nice, vicious little pea puffer without the shrimp or other fish ^^

I really miss my tanks I left back home (80, 40 & 15s).

599590_4082340858922_1868809915_n.jpg 306926_4082340698918_1311789677_n.jpg

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Not yet. I'm having trouble locating a HOB. All the filters here are HUGE internals - basically bigger, bulkier powerheads. Not interested in a river tank or torn up plants. Also, there is no room in the tank for something that big. Having a similar problem with a heater; they're all huge and the wattage are too high for such a tiny tank. It doesn't help that all the brands here seem to be either European or Korean, so I have no idea what is a good buy, as I am from the USA.

Forgot to mention, I'm also considering some WCMMs. Fish are still a good couple of weeks away though. Plenty of time to choose.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Nice! Hopefully you can find a HOB.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Just found a full aquarium set up out on the curb today ^o^ It's maybe 15-20 gallons and has everything but the gravel. Now where to put it...

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Nice find :) Hope you find room for it!

DIYing a sponge filter isn't hard at all, provided you can find the right piece of foam (open cell foam being the best), some airline tubing and an air pump. That's all you basically need. You can also probably order one from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Biochemical-Bio-Sponge-Filter-XY2810-/180712651327

This seller is from Hong Kong and ships worldwide, and on his lengthy list of exclusions Korea is not one of them ;)

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I hate to mention the obvious, but I can't imagine you don't have some gorgeous bettas in that part of the world! A betta wouldn't need any filter at all, maybe just a loose cover to keep him from jumping and keep the air above the waterline humid.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
You know, you'd THINK that bettas would be easy to find here... but they're not. They're just not popular aquarium occupants. The ones I have found have been old and in poor condition... or dead in their tiny cups. I bought one that looked relatively healthy for a previous tank and he lasted about 3 days before fading away, the poor guy. Bettas and gouramis just aren't that popular here and I don't know why. Lots of livebearers, african cichlids and small community fish plus tank busters like arros, flowerhorns and oscars.

I'm more interested in mechanical filtration then biological or chemical. Nothing to pick up big chunks of yuck like a wad of filter floss :) There are airpumps and sponge filters, although the sponges are also too large to fit comfortably in the tiny tank. The curb tank came with two sponge filters and a dual air pump to run them. I have NO idea why it was tossed. It has everything to run it in almost new conditions. Makes me want to sanitize the blankity out of it though. Just not sure where to put it in my studio apartment that can stand the weight ^^ Maybe the bottom tier of the appliance racks; I've done stranger things than lay on the floor watching fish.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Hmm, that's odd. I would have thought bettas of all sorts would be popular there. Here I was thinking you might even score some wild caught ones...

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I see what you're saying. Perhaps a box filter then? That's an even easier DIY...fill it with floss and you're good to go :)

Yeah, I'd probably just get a board (or two) and put it on the floor. Get a nice decorative cushion to lay your head on - it will look like you meant it!

Oh wait, I see - you already have a shelf or something. That's perfect then! I wouldn't go to any extremes to sanitize, just run it with water with bleach, do a water change and fill with fresh water and then dechlorinate liberally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store