Making substantial money in the hobby?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
So I've basically been raising fry since I started keeping fish. My first batch is close to sale size. I'm wondering if any of you make substantial money in the hobby? I'm not talking enough to live on but maybe 100 or more a month maybe?

What did it take to get to that level? I want to breed blue angels which seem to be worth money but my only shot at selling them is online (my LFS won't take them because they think no one will pay a bit more for them) not to mention many others already do and I'd like to get to a level where It's less a labor of love and more a labor that produces fruit.

I also really want to breed salt fish when I get my salt stuff going but I'm a long way away from that. Anyway I'm just wondering if you make money do you have a specialized fish? Sell in bulk with cheaper stuff? Did it take a huge room full of tanks?

Just thought it would be an interesting discussion as I'm sure a lot of hobbyists would like some extra money to invest back into the hobby

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Depends on what you are selling really.. I have months where I have made a couple hundred and some I have made zero. I average about 1400 a yr +/-

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I would think making that much money per month would require a substantial commitment of mostly time, but also money. To sell online, you need a postal scale, shipping supplies, etc...you'll have PayPal fees to pay, and if you sell on eBay you'll have those fees to pay. The food, electricity and water for water changes all cost money, not to mention the equipment you'll need (sponge filters, brine shrimp hatcheries, etc.) You'll need to be prepared for difficult customers (spend a few minutes on Aquabid reading feedback and you'll see just what a PITA some buyers can be) and DOAs.

I'd say that if you sold $100 worth of fish, you probably spent at least $30 to get them to that point, perhaps more. $70 profit sounds pretty good, but between listing, photographing, communicating, packaging, making trips to the post office, etc. you have surely spent longer than 10 hours (less than minimum wage) plus gas money...so unless it is something you really enjoy (and this is not the part that I enjoy, personally) it doesn't really "pay" to sell fish online.

This article will give you a good idea of what it takes to run a small business with fish: http://www.tadege.com/cherryshrimpfarming.htm

In this case, it's cherry shrimp farming, which I've actually seriously considered doing...only because I've really enjoyed setting up my two mini ponds this season and would like to do it on a regular basis :) And shrimp and inverts are something I feel much more comfortable shipping.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Not to be a downer but generally if you try to breed something with the initial intention of making money it generally doesnt work out as intended. that being said iv been selling a ton of snails this month and have made $70 (after shipping expense) but that is just something I like, keeping/raising snails. And most times I make no money other than to barely cover costs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I know it seems like angelfish would be profitable, but honestly they aren't usually. Much more profitable would probably be to sell something like blue ramshorns. Other than having to cull (which can be time consuming) you don't need to do a lot to sustain and establish a colony. Angelfish fry are delicate to raise and very intense on resources.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I know it seems like angelfish would be profitable, but honestly they aren't usually. Much more profitable would probably be to sell something like blue ramshorns. Other than having to cull (which can be time consuming) you don't need to do a lot to sustain and establish a colony. Angelfish fry are delicate to raise and very intense on resources.
+1, precisely. Thats why I breed snails, well I keep snails for enjoyment but snails always make more snails lol. Very easy, low maitnence, easy to raise/ship/ etc. Youll never get "rich" from it but like I said it does offset some costs, definitely my entire delve into snails is free and they are one of my favorite creatures to keep

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Oh yeah I understand all of that. I'm not necessarily even willing to put much more time in than I already do I just wondered what might be different about how people sell besides the stock if they're not doing it full time.

The angels I have are usually 20-30 a piece online but when I raise the fry I won't be asking a premium. I just don't know what the demand really is for them. If demand is high then I'm good to go. If not I could end up with a serious housing problem.

I like the blue ramshorn just because they'll be an easy thing to ship whereas with fish it's a much more daunting task.

I have at least 50 baby blue ramshorns growing right now actualy XD

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Also what type of culling is required with snails? Deformities and stuff? I hadn't thought about it.

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
Variety is key. Angels are a great start for local lfs since it probably cost more to get wholesale. Just make sure you have good stock. Also be realistic on what you want for the fishes.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Color, iv never had a deformed snail but those blue ramshorns I sent you breed like 85% or so blue. Which means every so often youll get a brown/redish baby which you must remove and dispose of. If you dont it will make more discolored babies which will ruin your population. Snails are a nice, easy way to make some fish food money. Vince sells them for 50c a piece on here which is about right, but if you have 100 snails that $50 and they make them so readily! lol like I said, youll never get rich from it but it does help offset some costs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store