Is Platinum Angel fish rare?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

green_valley

AC Members
Sep 14, 2011
I have been trying to find this Platinum/white Angel fish, but have no luck so far. Are they really rare?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
I have yet to find a platinum angelfish at a pet store and only just recently ran across blue angelfish locally, so I assume your best bet would be through aquabid or local breeder. FYI, platinums are the result of two recessive genes gold and philippine blue (g/g, pb/pb), which could explain why they might be hard to come by.

green_valley

AC Members
Sep 14, 2011
Thank you for the reply everyone. I forgot to mentioned, I have been look around most of LFS near Los Angeles area, and no one carries them. I probably need to go online as you guys suggested. Btw, How big do they get??? I am trying to get these for 55 gallon planted tank.

Thanks

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Platinum angels are usualy P. Scalare.. so they can reach the normal size of the P Scalare(body size of p scalare btwn 4-6")

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
You can get them right from liveaquaria.com I believe. I see them listed every time I go there but never checked if they were in stock.

I think the blue angels look just like the plats just with black and bright blue markings. Love them so much XD

Unless you find a LFS willing to order for you you'll hardly find fish like plat angels. You can find rare fish but angels have common breeds (marble) so a lot of fish stores won't stock rare breeds because your average aquarist will look at the price difference and pick the common version most of the time because they weren't specifically looking for another type to begin with. My LFS won't even buy blue angels from me because they think they won't sell

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store