fish and woodstove/fireplace?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

case_rums

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
CT
Visit site
Can I put a nice big 55+gal tank across (somewhere between 12 and 18 feet) the room from a fireplace/woodstove. I'm planning of finishing my basement and want to have a nice big tank down there. The only thing is, there's also going to be a woodstove which looks like a fireplace down there. Similar to this:

Thanks all!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Wood stoves throw out a LOT of radiant heat. If your tank is on a straight line of sight from the stove, it will warm considerably when the fire burns and cool when the fire goes out. If you could somehow shield the tank, that would make a big difference...

I lived in a house about 6 years ago that we heated primarily with a wood stove... the house was small and pretty open. Objects in the same room as the fire would get toasty warm, as will your fish. If you don't think so, stand in front of a fully heated wood stove. Then have someone stand between you and the stove. You'll be amazed at how much cooler you feel.

If you can block the radiant (i.e., line-of-sight) heat, you should be OK. The changes in room temp should be handled OK by your heater.

Good luck,
Jim

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have a 20 gallon in a room with a wood stove and it is about 4-5 feet away. There is little noticable temp change. The tank stays in the high 70's F year round.

mack606

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Vancouver, Canada eh
Visit site
Thats a beautiful fireplace in the pic. I dont know how big the room is but I would suggest >8 feet. If it were a smaller tank like a 10g I would definatly leave more room but it takes alot to heat up 55 gallons.

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
You might be able to screen the aquarium from direct LOS to the stove simply by arranging your furniture appropriately.

Is the stove for atmosphere and show, or is it the sole heat source for the basement?

I heated entirely with wood for three winters, and I can say that it's not at all the same as walking over and adjusting the thermostat.

case_rums

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
CT
Visit site
Thanks guys. The tank should be 12 feet + away from the stove. It's going to go on the side wall away from the stove.

basically the room will look like this:

``````|
`````[] <-- Tank
``````|
__*___|
^
Woodstove

It is going to be the main source of heat, but we'll put an electric heating element down there also.

Last edited:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Easy test: Fill a bucket or bowl with water, set it at the same height and spot that your tank will bee. see how hot it gets. I can't imagine that 12-18 ft away will be a problem, we heated with wood when i was a kid, and kept a 20g about 5 feet away without trouble.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
If the tank is on a side wall, not directly facing the stove, I would think it would catch a lot less radiant heat. Only one way to find out...

Let us know, OK? This is interesting.

Jim

P.S. I predict you'll get about 4-5 degree increase in water temp when a roaring fire is burning.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Heck I almost forgot that I keep my cold water minnow tank int he basement. It never gets above 70 degrees even when I have a fire on. And that stove is about the same as our upstairs one.

I think trial is the only way you will be able to find out the effects.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store