29 Gallon canopy, led, etc DIY help please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
I was able to get my hands on a 29gallon bowfront biocube, along with other stuff, for fairly cheap, but it didn't come with a canopy. Since I was planning on doing a DIY led, it didn't bother me at the time. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for any writeups available. Been searching around, and I haven't found anything quite usable yet.

Also, I've always had an abundance of LR as a part of my filter (approx 300-400 lb.s of LR in my past setup), so I am unsure of what to put in the sump area inside of the tank. Open to suguestions.

Stocking plans- I still have some chaeto (should I keep in tank?), kenya trees, a recoving favite frag, a small frag of sps (not sure of name, approx 5 heads), and blue star polyps. I'd like to do more coral, not sure if I want to stock fish, but definately some shriimp and snails. What are your takes on having hermit crabs? I had 6 or so in my last setup, but they ate any snail that came off the glass. I went from 25 snails to 1 in a matter of months. I'll have about an inch or 2 of black sand. If more info is needed, let me know. I'm probally missing out on something.

Things I am working on:
led canopy- I have something in mind, but have a few question(s). Does the leds need to be enclosed? What kind of kit do you recommend? I do like a blueish/purpleish tint, but I've read a lot of mixed reviews as to what combo to do.

stand-to buy a manufactured stand is around $90-$150, too much for what I can DIY.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store