Help I have a Kenyi Dilemma!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mregan24

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
Berrien Springs, MI
So I have a problem. I have a breeding pair of Kenyi. How ever the male is become a monster. He killed off 4 tank mates (2 yellow labs, and 2 other kenyi). I came home yesterday and the female was looking pretty beat up. So I took the male and put him into a 10 gallon by himself. So here is my dilemma. If I overstocked the aquarium by just a fish or 2 would that help out the aggressiveness of the male? I know it isnt all that healthy for him being alone in a 10 gallon, but I also dont want to lose another round of fish.

Secondly, what other kinds of cichlids go well with Yellow Labs? I'm not all that keen on Kenyi anymore!

Thanks everyone!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Kenyi are extremely aggressive what size tank were they in, Anything less than a 75gal i would only recommend one Kenyi and thats a female. Yellow labs can be aggressive as well but not like the Kenyi, When i kept Mbuna i had Yellow Labs, Red Zebras, Fuelliborni and some Afra's together.

mregan24

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
Berrien Springs, MI
Thanks for the response Pittbull. I only have a 36 gallon. Everyone seems content until the mating started. I have another 32 gallon I'm in the process of getting ready to house the male kenyi. I like the looks of the red Zebras. I might give them a try! Thanks again!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No problem and honestly I would only do a species setup in the 36gal tank either do Afra's or Saulosi they are a more of a dwarf Mbuna 1 male and 5 females..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store