using conglomerate rocks (sedimentary rocks) and dried wood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tire

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
College Station, TX
Visit site
are these ok? i am thinking the conglomerate could cloud the water and/or someting in it will kill them. what is there to watch for as far as keeping the fish alive and healthy? i know fish live in ponds and rivers, but i don't want to do something toxic and dumb.

also, would 100% dried wood be ok to put in it?

i have 5 tiger barbs, 2 swordtails, 2 platys, 2 small chiclids in a 45 gal hex tank. rightnow i have one live plant and gravel in there only. :-/

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
nope, not safe

No, not safe, if it crumbles, or reacts to muratic acid, you dont' want it in your tank.

mome rath

splatter me with mustard
Mar 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
I just go pick up rocks I find outside. I boil them twice in saltwater for about 10 minutes.

Smooth rocks are usually safe.

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
I've got a conglomerate in my tank. Did you mean to say carbonate? You don't want any carbonate rocks in your tank because they will leach minerals into the water. Conglomerate rocks are river rocks and should be just fine. If in doubt, do the vinegar test or get some acid solution.

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Here are a few things to look for/ look out for in wood:

Never use treated lumber, whether treated for weather resistance or insect/fungal resistance.

New wood can release tanins (mostly tanic acid). This will soften and darken your water and possibly lower the pH (depending on how hard your source water is). Depending on what kind of tank you want to keep, this could actually be desirable.

Old, dried out, sunbleached driftwood is probably safe. Anything problematic has long since been soaked out and UV sterilized

Avoid Oleander and Hemlock (especially if you're a philosopher ;) )

If you have doubts about the wood you want to use, you can boil it in a big pot on the stove, changing the water a few times OR just leach it in a big tub outside, dumping and refilling daily for a while. Boiling is quicker, but leaching has the advantage of requiring no explanations to the missus :D

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
cypress not cedar

You can use cypress but not cedar, I think, someone correct this if incorrect. You want wood that has ben submerged or aged enough that all that is left is the ... lignin? the stuff that won't decay easily. Dry wood is not enough I dont' think. Dry wood will float and is likely to decay in the tank, we've seen several account of the inner core of wood rotting, creating toxic materiasl int he tank, including nitrates, and poisoning fish. When removed the wood was stinky.

Rocks, what I recall of the session at Aquatic Gardeners Assn convention in Dallas... nothing that has metalic bits or is shiny, nothing that crumbles when dug at with a knife, nothing that reacts to muratic acid.

Carbonates are OK if you have hardwater cichlids, but not in planted tanks where the pH effect will be a problem. So, holey rock is fine there, the other limestones that you find at local rock yards may be OK, I don't really know.

Slate, pertified wood, granite are safe. Others I can't recall, sorry.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store