Curb Side Freebie - What to Stock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
I found a ~20 gallon set up out on the curb. Tank holds water and all the equipment works. I guess someone got tired of the hobby. Found a place to put it and now I want to get it going. But I can't decorate until I have some stock in mind.

Shelldwellers/Tangs (vals, anubias, java ferns with fine gravel and cool shells)

vs.

Planted community (black substrate with dark green plants and driftwood/rocks)

vs.

???

Which would you do?

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Lucky find, congratulations! I like the shell dwellers idea.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
It's not a standard 20. I need to find a ruler and measure it and convert it into liters, but it's more of a high than a long :( Which is a bummer. I've noticed the tall tanks tend to be favored here (south Korea).

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
I've never kept shellies, but it seems like a colony of multis or occies would be the way to go :) I know there is one store at the pet market that has tang cichlids, so I will pay them a visit to check out the prices and species!

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Well, after following the prescribed advice about water (I was going to fill it with soju but I figured drunk fish weren't the best idea), the tank is somewhere between 15-20 gallons.

I went to the store and looked at the shellies... fell in love with the pearly occies... did some research and am crushed. Sounds like they're too aggressive to house in my tank. Looked at the multis too and they just don't do it for me :( Going to go with a pair of dwarf S. America cichlids instead with a planted tank and driftwood. I picked up a nice, intricate piece for $15.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store