Apparently I'm doing something wrong (or no one needs used tanks...)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
<rant>

I've got a couple of smaller tanks (10g and 29g) that I've listed on CL 3 times, with minimal interest. The 10g is a complete "Walmart" kit, hood, light, filter, etc. The 29g has a metal stand, filter (AC50), new glass lid, light etc. I put both of them up for $50 for all, and I've gotten essentially nothing! WTH, does no one need $200+ worth of gear for $50?

At this point I'm ready to donate the whole mess just to get it out of my house.

</rant>

Seriously, though, I can't believe no one in SE Michigan needs a couple of good tanks. Apparently I'm doing something wrong...

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Lol if I lived just a bit closer I'd be all over that. I live generally in NE Indiana. I can't believe you haven't had much interest. I'm definitely in need of a ready to rock 29g

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Sometimes making it where the person has to take TWO tanks instead of just one will hinder sales.

What about parting out your equipment and selling it on here? I bet you could get $50 for just that. I would have been happy to buy the lid from you, I just had to buy one ;) If you don't mind shipping some stuff, I bet you could make at least the $50. Put the tanks alone up for $5 for the 10 gallon and $20 for the 29 and I bet you'll get it sold.

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
I did say that I'd separate it in the ad, but perhaps you're right and I'll try parting it out. This experience is really giving me pause on upgrading from my 30g tall to a 55g or larger.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I would, especially since it's free to edit and post on CL. I'd sell the 10 gallon kit for $15 and the 29 setup for $35. You could make it higher, of course...

Shipping is a real pain, so I understand why you want to avoid it, but if you want to make some more money that is going to be the way to go!

LouReed

Registered Member
Jun 26, 2012
All the tanks I purchase off cl the seller contacted me. I just post want ads with my number and they would call me. Try looking for want ads for tanks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Some areas are better in selling used tanks than others. In my local area, I rarely can find a deal on a used tank. People (typically as an example) want $150 for a 55 gallon with a filter and heater and gravel... saying they've invested over $500 in it. $10 gallon tanks with hoods average $30+

One guy on CL has been listing a 40gallon for over 6 months, rewording it and renewing it weekly, never dropping the price, at $120. Has a basic HOB filter, heater, decorations and he tries to emphasize a NEW FISH net, a python and few other basics. He lists as having over $500 invested and this is a STEAL. Aquarium looks really old and discolored, with old plastic wood grain trim.

So it sucks for me. I rarely get a deal. Yet I read about people getting 100 gallon tanks for free or dirt cheap in other cities.

Are you listing the tanks in the for sale section or pets section?

Have you tried the free Ebay Classifieds?

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
@rastoma - In the general for sale section. Seems to be where most of them are posted in my particular CL (Detroit metro)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store