Need a compatible algae eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KI4WLG

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
North Carolina/South Carolina
Hey y'all. I'm starting to see some algae growing on one of the rocks in my tank. I need a critter that will munch on the algae but is also compatible with my SA Bumblebee catfish. It is my understanding that SABC won't eat other fish unless they are small enough to fit in their mouth. So would a shrimp or two be alright? Or should I look for something else?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What type of algae? Not all "algae eaters" are even capable of consuming every form of algae...

However, I would suggest taking care of the underlying issue causing the algae first.

What is your lighting like? How long are the lights on each day?
What size tank and what is your full stock?
What is your normal maintenance routine like?

And although they aren't large fish, I would think that with that size mouth any shrimp would be food...

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
My sabc eats any fish small and foolish enough to get close to it should it be hungry. Having said that, he still manages to nab a shrimp pellet from the fat old corys and loaches most of the time. I would scrape your tank and not get a fish to fix the problem.

:cheers:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store