Medication problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grinch

AC Members
Mar 21, 2004
New Haven, CT
Visit site
I have 45 gal tank with tiger barbs, gouramis, and a clown loach. The clown loach has got ich, and I've been medicating the tank for a week and a half now (wish I had a hospital tank right now). The clown loach is definetly feeling better, but he does'nt look any better (still a lot of white spots). The tiger barbs are getting pretty stressed from all the medicating and water changes, and yesterday the ammonia level got pretty high, but is back down now. Should I give the fish a day off or keep going?

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
The best thing you can do is keep on doing those water changes. Your fish will probably be even more stressed out under higher ammonia levels compared to having their water changed. At least with a water change, you will be introducing clean water to the tank.

HTH
-Richer

JesseJ

You should be dancin'
Jan 22, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Give the fish a day or two between starting a treatment cycle but don't stop if you are in the middle of one unless the meds are making your fish worse.

When using meds you should follow directions very carefully unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I would recommend cleaning the tank then waiting a day and then starting a treatment cycle. Feed every other day to cut back on pollution. Then clean the tank after the treatment period is done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store