Stocking Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waltb2000

AC Members
Mar 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
We have just finished a fishless cycle in our brand new, 7 gallon kitchen counter tank. We're set up with a biowheel filter, gravel, some live plants, and a 25 Watt heater. We're probably going to add a half dozen neon tetras. What do you all think--will there be room for anything else? If so, what would be a good tankmate(s) to the neons? We'd like to have a larger fish or two as well as the schooling fish but don't know if that is practical given the tiny size of the tank (though we are quite dilligent with water changes, water testing, etc). We're new at this (have only kept goldfish before) and would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
If you want, you can add some shrimp to your tank. Thats about all I would do. A tank of your size should really be stocked lightly... there really isn't much water in such a tiny tank. This translates to a smaller margin for error if something is to go wrong. Plants will also help in keeping water quality at a reasonable level.

HTH
-Richer

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
you are pretty stocked. Is this tank a tall tank or shorter and longer? If you will keep up on vacuuming and water changes as well as water conditions, you could probably squeeze in a couple dwarf cories which are fun to watch as well. definitely no larger fish in the tank. The shrimp could also be possibilities. I've found a pair of small cories seem to do better for me than the larger groups recommended by most people. Not sure why my larger groups tend to stay separate more than the pairs do. Kyle

waltb2000

AC Members
Mar 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for responding. The tank is squat so I figure that its relatively high surface area (along with my commitment to maintenance) should allow me to stock it a bit on the heavy side. Any other suggestions for stocking? Could I keep two different spp. of tetras together such as neons and cardinals? How about a small shcool of tetras and a small school of guppies? I've never kept two spp. together before and don't know what to expect. Thanks again!

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
depends on your likes. many people like the largest school of one type that they can fit. I usually keep 3 of each tetra in my 55 but I have had larger groups of neons at one time. I personally would recommend 3 neons and 3 glowlights for the colors. they are both a little stronger than neons but not by a whole lot. Guppies might be pushing it. Maybe get 4 or 5 tetras and one male guppy. Definitely not a male and female guppy. Kyle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store