DIY return overflow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DIYnewbie

AC Members
Jun 25, 2012
NC
Real Name
Geoff
I had a quick ? I am designing an overflow return like HOB power filters and I have 3 designs and wonder what would be best.

Back spillway - current hits the front and circles down and back towards the nano reef.

Left and Right side spillways - current collides and mixes in the middle.

Front spillway - current hits reef head on.

There is a fourth design using the two side and front.

The design also uses the spillway as bracing so it serves more purpose then just being the return overflow.

So thoughts?
Geoff

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
could you give us diagrams or pictures of the setup you're proposing? Admittedly I have never run anything but a HOB for filtration but I've been studying up on canisters for awhile now, and plumbing in general as I would love to set up a sump for my salt tank. But I am having a very hard time picturing what you're describing and what the differences would be between the 3 choices.

DIYnewbie

AC Members
Jun 25, 2012
NC
Real Name
Geoff
could you give us diagrams or pictures of the setup you're proposing? Admittedly I have never run anything but a HOB for filtration but I've been studying up on canisters for awhile now, and plumbing in general as I would love to set up a sump for my salt tank. But I am having a very hard time picturing what you're describing and what the differences would be between the 3 choices.
Let's see if I know how to add a picture on here XD

DIYbrace&return.jpg

That is the general concept sorry I am a hands on designer love me some grid paper!

Geoff

DIYbrace&return.jpg

DIYnewbie

AC Members
Jun 25, 2012
NC
Real Name
Geoff
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store