First Babies!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I was feeding my Multis(shellies) and I noticed a tiny little spot swimming in the open water. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that I had fry! I am super excited because this is the first time I have had fish babies ever! I'm afraid to move them, they seem to be doing fine. Is there anything in specific I need to do?

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Congrats! I remember spotting my first fry.

Since these are a true colony species, I wouldn't move them at all, at least not until they get to a more "troublesome" size...really the only time you need to remove multi's is when you have just too many fish for your tank or you are seeing some territorial issues, usually from males being cramped together.

IME the parents are fairly self sufficient with the fry. Unlike other some cichlids like rams or angels they seem to be really good parents the first time around, so no real risk of them being eaten or anything. The fry will take crushed up flakes and whatever their little mouths can get a hold of (I never specifically target fed).

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Thanks for the advice! I'm glad that I didn't re scape the tank like I was planning to the other day, might have prevented them from spawning :) I'm very excited. I feed the adults crushed flakes anyway, so they should get some food in :)

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store